Stumbled Upon This...

musserump09
-29 gallon planted tank. 1 year 8 m 22 days.
-2 Cascade 150 filters both with sponge and bio media only.
- 78 degrees
- pH 6.6
- Ammonia 0.25ppm
- Nitrites 0ppm
- Nitrates 40ppm
- Phosphate 5.0ppm
- Alkalinity 1

I tested my salt tank to prepare for a reef tank and got curious about my freshwater. Now I've had no fish issues nor have I slacked on weekly 50% water changes. So when I tested my tank I was,shocked to see my pH. I tested phosphates and alkalinity and see both are issues. This is my first planted tank so I'm just curious because of my large driftwood still looks to be leeching tannies. Could just be the reason for my pH drop?

musserump09

20180226_083324.jpg

Sion
Driftwood can cause pH to drop.

TexasDomer
What's the pH of your tap?

musserump09
7.4-7.6

TexasDomer
Part of the reason for the drop is the wood, but the ultimate cause of the drop is the low KH (alkalinity). If you can raise the KH, you can reduce the drop in pH. KH can be increased with buffers (without increasing the pH past the tap pH of 7.4-7.6) or with crushed coral or limestone (will increase the pH, but that's not a bad thing).

musserump09
Bummer....I really enjoyed just using my python hoes to fill it up after prime. I figured I added to much wood...darn it

TexasDomer
You can still do that if you have limestone rocks or crushed coral in the tank or filter. You can also just mix the required buffer in a cup or small container with water, and add it during water changes (for water changes, add the amount of buffer to treat the amount of water you're adding back).

musserump09
10-4

musserump09
You can still do that if you have limestone rocks or crushed coral in the tank or filter. You can also just mix the required buffer in a cup or small container with water, and add it during water changes (for water changes, add the amount of buffer to treat the amount of water you're adding back).
I'm going to go the limestone route. Any recommendations

TexasDomer
I got limestone rocks from the local landscape store. Because I wanted just a few chunks (around 30-40 lbs total), they gave them to me for free.

musserump09
How much should I need for 29gallon. 15lbs?

TexasDomer
Depends on how much you want to raise your KH and pH. You could add a few lbs and test a few days later (change won't be instantaneous). If you need to add more, you can at that point. You want a KH of around 4 or higher.

musserump09
I shall give it a try.

Actually on second thought live rock is easier for me to buy at LPS. Crush coral same thing

TexasDomer
Live rock is not quite the same thing, as it contains live bacteria and organisms that will die and likely pollute the water in your Freshwater tank. Also more expensive.

Do you have landscape stores near you?

musserump09
Oh Lord yes. Just was browsing online and didn't like what I was seeing. I'll look for limestone at these stores

musserump09

1520091262223.jpegwent petco to pick up some phosphate remover and saw this. Would any of these raise my levels?

Culprit
If you go to petco cuttlebone will also work. I'd say middle rack far right would work. What's it called? It looks like dry rock possibly

musserump09
If you go to petco cuttlebone will also work. I'd say middle rack far right would work. What's it called? It looks like dry rock possibly
The names were not very helpful. I grab a large gray rock (bottom row). Yes all dry rocks.

TexasDomer
The white rock on the right should raise it. Very expensive though - I would think limestone from a landscape store would be cheaper.

Hard to tell about the others without doing a vinegar test.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Vollmond
  • pH
Replies
Views
Chanyi
  • BeanieSeagus
  • pH
Replies
Views
BeanieSeagus