Experience
3 years

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, but could we prove it?

As scientific studies pile up, we are getting a good vision of how much and how well our fish use their brains in our world. It has certainly changed how I look at them. We just make broad statements while fish behaviour students provide proof to shake us out of our myths. It is very cool. Keep reading the many studies. The ones on Gambusia counting are really special. They add and subtract. I have watched them many times, but I hadn't seen that. The info certainly increases my respect for them, and we need to increase our respect for other species.

This is one tiny study in the growing field of understanding how other species' brains work, and what we are seeing (if we choose to look) is really fascinating.

If we take some of this research to heart and start keeping fish as what research is telling us they can be, then our hobby grows in interest in ways we might be surprised at. Knowledge is never a waste of money.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I fully agree with you, it's just funny that on occasion we see a study that confirms what we have known/ believed for so long. I would say that it's almost like a pat on the back, like a hey, look what we have been doing right all this time.
I would certainly never seriously discredit studies in our favorite field.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
While it is nice to see - don't take this as gospel. For one thing, it's the Daily Mail (come on). Secondly - the way these articles generally get written is some journalist will come across a single study that shows a positive proof, and then publish it as correct without any peer confirmation.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Danjamesdixon said:
While it is nice to see - don't take this as gospel. For one thing, it's the Daily Mail (come on). Secondly - the way these articles generally get written is some journalist will come across a single study that shows a positive proof, and then publish it as correct without any peer confirmation.
Ha, well, I sure as **** am hesitant to say that I didn't even look at the source, it came up on my google news science tab. That being said, I don't think the source really matters with this one anyway, the topic is a fairly basic and lighthearted one considering what we already know about our finned friends.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to go behind the lightweight Daily Mail article and get to the actual study. I find a lot of excellent, peer reviewed pdfs online, and a lot of them are interesting reads.

Really, it comes down to whether you want to learn outside the boxes we have jumped into, or not. I appreciate it if what we know about our finned friends is real or not, since I have been known to overestimate intelligence. I have that bias. Happily for my world view, the scientific studies are pushing the thought of those who look into them towards there being a lot going on the the brains of other species. There is even more than an optimist like I can be (about other species) thought possible.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
True. Fish have personalities. I just wouldn't call them complex.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
scarface said:
True. Fish have personalities. I just wouldn't call them complex.
That would depend on what you consider complex.
One could argue that humans generally all should have complex personalities. I have had many acquaintances however, that were not nearly as "complex" as my fish!
Then again, I am more of a glass 3/4 empty kind of guy.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ghostlybosun said:
That would depend on what you consider complex.
One could argue that humans generally all should have complex personalities. I have had many acquaintances however, that were not nearly as "complex" as my fish!
Well, I must admit, I don't consider people that complex either. Once you understand a culture, human behavior becomes frustratingly predictable It's why I've always hated conformity.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'll admit I only glanced over this particular article - although there is definitely a shift occurring toward a more, dare I say it, 'equal' view of other animals and their thought processes compared to ours (we're animals too, a fact that most seem to forget). That shift is certainly not confined to our finned friends either. My statement was more a relevant overview of scientific journalism.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With no regard to studies, I believe that most animals have more going on upstairs than we give them credit for. However, that does not give me any apprehension about eating the tasty ones (nothing at all against vegetarians, I can understand the reasoning), or mercilessly slaughtering the vile creatures known as house centipedes (yup, I know they are harmless and beneficial, but we have personal beef).

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From watching house centipedes, I know they love their children and want t0 be our friends.

But with no proof, and no studies saying that, my opinion can be squashed as quickly as those centipedes - unlike them, I don't have a leg to stand on...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom