Stuck Platy found upside down

Drafe

My juvenile platy got stuck in an upside-down position. I believe she was stuck upside down for about 2 hours, and when I found her stuck, I noticed she was moving her gills pretty fast. I freed her and she immediately swam to the bottom, still moving her gills fast. After a few mins, she started swimming in the mid-water section, but only moves one of her 'hands' to swim. The other one is just stuck and not moving. Is there something I should be worried about? Is it bad for fish to get stuck upside down?

JuDom

Hello there. :)
Sorry your fish is not doing well.
Do you know your water parameters?
Any other fish in the tank? Are they okay?

BigManAquatics

Was the fish stuck under something?

JuDom

Didn’t think to ask that BigMan :hilarious:
That was the right question to start with.

Drafe

Hello there. :)
Sorry your fish is not doing well.
Do you know your water parameters?
Any other fish in the tank? Are they okay?
All fish are ok, water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrtie and 10 trates
Was the fish stuck under something?
Yeah, I have a filter cartridge sitting in a ziplock bag in the water for about 2 weeks so that my new sponge can grow bacteria in the filter while the cartridge holds the bb temporarily. I made a gap in the ziplock so water can flow in and out of the ziplock. My platy got stuck in that ziplock in a pretty tight space. She is kinda ok now but she still isn't moving her one 'arm'

JuDom

All fish are ok, water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrtie and 10 trates

Yeah, I have a filter cartridge sitting in a ziplock bag in the water for about 2 weeks so that my new sponge can grow bacteria in the filter while the cartridge holds the bb temporarily. I made a gap in the ziplock so water can flow in and out of the ziplock. My platy got stuck in that ziplock in a pretty tight space. She is kinda ok now but she still isn't moving her one 'arm'
Have you removed the ziplock bag?
They sell fine mesh bags of all different sizes that you could use for that purpose instead.
I think she probably just needs recovery time. At first I thought maybe she had a swim bladder issue..didn’t calculate that she was physically stuck.
That will definitely spook a fish and cause strange behavior for a couple of days. She could have injured her fin trying to wriggle her way out.
Do you have a breeders net maybe you could float in the tank so she can have some time to heal?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jnyftb
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jessiejnumberonefan
Replies
Views
lanas
Replies