Stuck in Filter!

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I added my Betta to his new tank. I figure, I put him in the bowl and it wasn't cycled, and my previous Betta was kept in the same bowl and it was never cycled either so what's the difference added him to the 5 gallon? As soon as I put him in he started flaring and attacking my Coralife digital thermometer probe. He also made a big poo and the filter couldn't suck it up. I went downstairs to get a picture of him flaring and when I came back up all his fins were sucked up inside the filter and he was stuck the side! The filter is a Whisper Junior I believe.

I unplugged the filter, or so I thought, and he went straight to the surface to get a breath of air. Later on his fins got caught again. I thought I had unplugged the filter but it was still plugged in a tiny bit, giving a tiny amount of suction. He was able to get out on his own, but the filter is off now. What do I do? I'd like to keep a filter. I noticed after I got the filter fully unplugged, he stopped flaring completely and stopped attacking his reflection.

There were also 2 spots on his tail that looked like something ate a chunk out of, so I'm assuming that may be fin rot and I'm treating it with the ParaGuard again. (Since it specifically says it treats fin rot.) But it still looks nice, healthy, and colorful.

What should I do about the filter though?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would return the filter and get another one. I've never seen a filter with so much suction that a fish would get stuck. Bettas are not strong swimmers and this could be very dangerous for him if he cannot get to the top. It could also tear up his fins. All my filters are gentle and none of my fish have ever gotten stuck. You could try a BioWheel filter or an AquaClear. Those are the ones I have and both are excellent.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Maybe put a sponge over the intake?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes get rid of that filter, there is something wrong with a filter that has that much suction. I would say that the bettas fins were probably torn by the filter instead of finrot already but they probably will get infected. Clean water, clean water, clean water. Also most filters do not clean up their "poo". It generally goes to the bottom and gets cleaned up by the syphoning of the gravel.

Rose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
His fins were like that before he got stuck. I can't return the filter because I didn't purchase it, my sis in law gave it to me because it came with her tank, which she got through someone else.

I thought about purchasing the Penguin 100, but how do I know he won't get stuck in that one, either? I really don't think this filters suction is any stronger than the other filters. I think it's the Whisper Junior.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom