stuck in cycle possible article to help

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found this article

one thing it mentioned was if PH is issue then you can get stuck. My ph had been in low 7's but when tested again it was in about 6.6. So I added about 2 grains of rice size pulverized fish flake food. Well my Ammonia went to .25 and today I added back to 2.0 so it did help.
Of course, I am the newbie but wanted to see if could try something new.

Now question:
My readings:
Tap
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5.0 Ph 6.7 and High Range 7.8
Tank
Ammonia 2 Nitrite 0 Nitrate between 10 and 20 (could not do ph as I added ammonia before I thought to do it DUMB DUMB:;b) I plan to check in 1 hour hope that will work.

How could my Nitrate be higher but no Nitrites and have not had any nitrites at all despite 2 x day checks?
I plan to check it again in an hour as well as could have messed it up, i guess?
What do you guys think? Do you think the cycle is now moving along a little?
Should I simply wait and check and add ammonia when needed, which is what I think I should do.
Thanks as always for all the help

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
checked again. PH is very dark blue. Ammonia is 2ppm, the Nitrate is 10 and the Nitrite 0.
Forgot to mention used API master test kit

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One way that your nitrates could have increased without seeing any nitries is you could be getting a bad reading from your nitrate test. With the API nitrate test, you need to really shake and pound bottle #2.

Bottle #2 contains crystals suspended in liquid. The crystals have a tendancy to settle out of the liquid, and unless the bottle is really, really, really shaken and the crystals get "re-suspended" in the liquid , you can get a false reading.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My impression of not shaking the nitrate bottle is that it tends to underead, not over read but I'd be interested if anyone else had any more soundly based opinion.

If your pH is 6.7 on the low range pH bottle, you don't need to use the high range bottle at all. It doesn't test anything different. It is basically just useful for when your pH goes over 7.4. Likewise, if your pH is usually 8, you don't need to use the normal pH range bottle, unless it starts to drop.

I know you didn't ask about this but I wanted to point out as quite a few people seem to quote two numbers for pH. The water has only one pH. The two bottles just test different ranges.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Two ways you might get a nitrate reading in those conditions.
1. Your tap water contains nitrate
2. You are using a water treatment that has Nitrate. (Stresszyme, Cycle, Etc)

What are you using to dechlorinate your water? Any other additives? Anything in the tank brought from another tank? (plants, gravel, filter material?)

Nate

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
first thanks for the ph information. That will save time.
I am using a basic dechlorinator that does not affect ammonia, Topfin
I did add gravel to filter in pantyhose and in tank in pantyhose (never washed or worn). Maybe the Nitrate difference is that. That makes sense. I will test again tomorrow but Ammonia is going down again. Still no Nitrites.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The gravel in the filter may well have jump started the process for you. You may never see a nitrite reading. I would just keep going the same route you are and keep an eye on things. It is much easier to deal with Nitrite spikes without fish...daily water changes are NO fun.
Keep us updated, I am interested to see how it works out for you.
Best Wishes,
Nate

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads