Stuck at Top of Tank

1. j

jerrythesurvivor New Member Member

Two weeks ago now, I did a 90% water change and then changed the filter soon after because he was acting ill. In doing that, I believe it made him worse temporarily and made him sick. After a week of 30% water changes every day and not feeding him for two days he's acting much better.
    My only concern is that he struggled to swim to the bottom of the tank.
    He doesn't act unhappy, he has plants in his tank and one of those betta sleeping leaves that he'll lay on. Or if he wants privacy he hides behind the filter or one of the plant's leaves.
    Anyhow, I was wondering how long it would take for his swim bladder to function again fully if I continue with the 30% water changes every other day or if it won't fully recover.
    Personality wise, he's acting fine. Whenever I walk into the room he rushes around his tank to great me and he flares up and such when I let him look in the mirror so I don't think he feels ill, I just was wondering if he damaged his swim bladder permanently or if there was hope of him feeling better.
    Side note: He does swim to the bottom of the tank every once in a while, it's just hard for him. You can tell he's straining, but if i'm sitting on the floor under the tank he will go to the bottom of the tank to try to see me.

Tank Specs:
    It's a 5 Gallon Tank with 2 live plants: one grass and one amazon sword plant
    Tetra filter on it, have been adding API's Stress Zyme and API's stress coat to the water when I do water changes.
    Temperature is around 80-82 degrees (I live in a very hot climate, though the tank is on interior walls unless I keep AC very low it's hard to keep his tank much cooler)
    Last water change was yesterday, changing 50%.

Nitrates: 20
    Nitrites: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    pH: 7.0
    KH: 80
    GH: 120

jerry again.jpg

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Whoops! I've done that, too, changed out the filter media before I knew about the nitrogen cycle and really stressed my betta. Luckily he didn't end up with any long-term problems.

Is your guy having any other troubles, like staying upright or level in the water?

I'm wondering if he's preferentially sticking to the top of the tank where evaporation is taking place because it's slightly cooler...

Just noticed you have a heater, is it unplugged?

3. OP
    OP
    j

jerrythesurvivor New Member Member

The heater is currently unplugged, it's been unplugged for a bit solely because it hasn't needed to turn on for about a month. (it's 100+ degrees outside).
    He doesn't seem to have an issue staying upright or level, he had an issue last week with it however now he seems to be behaving completely normal.
    It's just when he tries to swim to the bottom he bounces back up a little.
    He went down to his cave on the tank floor a minute ago and it was like his back side wouldn't get all the way down.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It doesn't sound too bad then, he'll probably recover fully, or at least if he doesn't it's not so bad that it interferes with his ability to get around his tank:)

Just don't overfeed him, maybe fast him for a day, and I've heard that feeding a crumbled 1/2 pea may help as well depending on what caused the issue.

Good luck:)