Stuck at 2ppm Nitrite

stephpartin

Hello everybody:)) Hope you all are enjoying your evening. My cycle in my fluval spec 16 gallon got interrupted by being newly cycled and I had sick fish. Not in the tank anymore. Went back to the store. After the meds I decided to put carbon in the absolutely wrong place in the filter so it absorbed most of my BB when I threw it away. I thought I threw myself into a mini cycle but it has been about 7 days or more and my nirrites are stuck at 2ppm. I have done water changes and I have made sure my tank is not dirty but it is keeping steady at 2ppm. I'm putting in 1 ppm of ammonia that is eaten by the BB within a 24 hour period. My PH is 7, my nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppm. Am I just being impatient or should I try to lower them? Let me know if u need more info. Thanks in advance for any help:))

jkkgron2

Well Known
When are you planning on adding fish? If you did a large 75% water change today and a 25% tomorrow you might be able to add fish in a few days from now. You would have to stop doing ammonia though.

Frank the Fish guy

You probably just need more time for the Nitrobacter (the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate) to grow. They tend to come second since they need to be fed by the output of the first (Nitrosomonas).

But do make sure your KH (carbonate hardness) is not low. If KH gets used up, that will stall the cycle too.

Adding one of the quick start solutions will help speed things along since you will be adding some of the Nitrobacter directly.

Gone

Well Known
I'd recommend a little more patience. You're doing the right thing. Just in full disclosure, I've never used bottled bacteria. I don't believe it works, and I know it doesn't work as advertised. I think you're better off just doing what you're doing and waiting it out.

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

Frank the Fish guy said:
You probably just need more time for the Nitrobacter (the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate) to grow. They tend to come second since they need to be fed by the output of the first (Nitrosomonas).

But do make sure your KH (carbonate hardness) is not low. If KH gets used up, that will stall the cycle too.
Oh I did not know that about the KH!! I will have to go buy a KH/GH test kit tomorrow. I have the API master kit that did not come with those. But before I add my fish into my tank I take my water to my local LFS and they make sure everything is good. Not petco or petsmart:)) I already added Tetra safe start to the tank 4 days ago. It has always served my well in the past:) I don't think it will hurt anything. I will be patient as I do not want to go through this again!! I was describing the process to a friend that thought (like me in the past) that a fish would be happy in a vase!! She fully understands now why you cannot do that.

jkkgron2 said:
When are you planning on adding fish? If you did a large 75% water change today and a 25% tomorrow you might be able to add fish in a few days from now. You would have to stop doing ammonia though.
Hey thanks for replying:)) I think I am going to give the tank a little more time just to make sure it is fully cycled and all of the sickness is gone. What type of fish would you recommend for a 16 gallon Fluval Spec? I was thinking about 6 pygmy cories and either a small school of Tetras (not sure yet which ones). I loved my flame tetras but they ended up being sick. Or????? No otto's, danios, barbs, I would just like a small peaceful schooling fish that doesn't get bigger than 2 inches.....Oh and has a personality:)) Thanks:)))

Frank the Fish guy said:
Adding one of the quick start solutions will help speed things along since you will be adding some of the Nitrobacter directly.
Hi Frank I did add Tetra safe start 4 days ago....I have always had luck with it in the past. My Nitrates did go up and my BB is eating the 1 ppm of ammonia I am dosing daily. Thanks so much for your reply:))

jkkgron2

Well Known
stephpartin said:
Hey thanks for replying:)) I think I am going to give the tank a little more time just to make sure it is fully cycled and all of the sickness is gone. What type of fish would you recommend for a 16 gallon Fluval Spec? I was thinking about 6 pygmy cories and either a small school of Tetras (not sure yet which ones). I loved my flame tetras but they ended up being sick. Or????? No otto's, danios, barbs, I would just like a small peaceful schooling fish that doesn't get bigger than 2 inches.....Oh and has a personality:)) Thanks:)))
6 Pygmy corys, 6 ember tetras and 1 peacock gudgeon (make sure you’re ok with feeding frozen food since at first many don’t eat pellets) would be a great stocking :)

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

GuppyDazzle said:
I'd recommend a little more patience. You're doing the right thing. Just in full disclosure, I've never used bottled bacteria. I don't believe it works, and I know it doesn't work as advertised. I think you're better off just doing what you're doing and waiting it out.
I agree....A little more time won't kill me!! Lol I already did add 3 tablespoons of Tetra safe start 4 days ago. I have always had a great cycle using it in the past so why not:))) Thanks so much and take care:)

Frank the Fish guy

Don't forget to replenish the ammonia. You have to keep feeding the bacteria to get them to grow and keep the cycle going. Nitrites may go up higher, but that is their food and will feed them. Stopping ammonia will stall your cycle. Keep the party going!

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

jkkgron2 said:
6 Pygmy corys, 6 ember tetras and 1 peacock gudgeon (make sure you’re ok with feeding frozen food since at first many don’t eat pellets) would be a great stocking :)
As much as I like peaceful fish the ember tetras look like little goldfish to me. I'm not sure about those even though they are small. Do they have personality? Oh my what is a peacock Gudgeon? I will look it up... I have no problem feeding frozen daphnia, blood worms, etc....I was also thinking about a Bumble Bee Goby. They only get to be 1 and 1/2 inches. So many thanks for the ideas let me know if the ember tetras have a personality or not please and any other suggestions would be appreciated....:))))

Frank the Fish guy said:
Don't forget to replenish the ammonia. You have to keep feeding the bacteria to get them to grow and keep the cycle going. Nitrites may go up higher, but that is their food and will feed them. Stopping ammonia will stall your cycle. Keep the party going!
Yes!!! I have been dosing ammonia at 1ppm every day. Thank you for the reminder we can all use that:)))

[
Oh I just read that Bum bee gobies like Brackish water so I can forget those.

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

jkkgron2 said:
Frank the Fish guy said:
Fluval spec, that is set up for a software, planted aquarium. May I suggest a school of Rasboras, and a Gourami pair for some personality.
OMG I didn't really know that. I knew you could keep it with salt water but I never knew about the software and planted aquarium. So that's what that disk is for!! Oh that sounds good!! I love rasboras!! I was even thinking about endlers but they are live bearers and I can't deal with the babies getting eaten:( I think sparkling gouramis would be small enough. Thanks:))

johnbetta

Well Known
it is highly needed a 30 % water change than check the water from your tap that u use to do water changes

jkkgron2

Well Known
stephpartin said:
As much as I like peaceful fish the ember tetras look like little goldfish to me. I'm not sure about those even though they are small. Do they have personality? Oh my what is a peacock Gudgeon? I will look it up... I have no problem feeding frozen daphnia, blood worms, etc....I was also thinking about a Bumble Bee Goby. They only get to be 1 and 1/2 inches. So many thanks for the ideas let me know if the ember tetras have a personality or not please and any other suggestions would be appreciated....:))))
Not too man schooling fish have personalities, you could do harlequin rasboras instead of ember tetras. Since you want personality I would do:
6x harlequin rasboras
3x honey gouramis (have personality)
And a m/f pair of peacock gudgeons (super personable)

A note about peacock gudgeons- They may breed but you probably won’t get any past the wiggler stage and if you did this stocking you wouldn’t have any other bottom dwellers that could stress them out. I don’t have any great pics but mine has finally fully colored up and In my opinion, she’s prettier than my betta.

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

jkkgron2 said:
Not too man schooling fish have personalities, you could do harlequin rasboras instead of ember tetras. Since you want personality I would do:
6x harlequin rasboras
3x honey gouramis (have personality)
And a m/f pair of peacock gudgeons (super personable)

A note about peacock gudgeons- They may breed but you probably won’t get any past the wiggler stage and if you did this stocking you wouldn’t have any other bottom dwellers that could stress them out. I don’t have any great pics but mine has finally fully colored up and In my opinion, she’s prettier than my betta.
Aqua Advisor puts 2 Peacock Gudgeons at 43 % stocking level. It does not recommend harlequin rasboras as tank mates because the peacocks are much larger with larger mouths.....The honey Gouramis are fine and that puts me at 76% stocking level.....If I add 6 pygmy cories that puts me at 93 % stocked. I think I found my tank mates:)) Question please:) Do peacock gudgeons jump? Thanks for all of your help!!

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

Frank the Fish guy said:
There are lots of kinds of Rasboras:
I know and I tried to just type in Rasboras and it didn't bring up anything. So I just thought that they were all out of the question. Thx

jkkgron2

Well Known
stephpartin said:
Aqua Advisor puts 2 Peacock Gudgeons at 43 % stocking level. It does not recommend harlequin rasboras as tank mates because the peacocks are much larger with larger mouths.....The honey Gouramis are fine and that puts me at 76% stocking level.....If I add 6 pygmy cories that puts me at 93 % stocked. I think I found my tank mates:)) Question please:) Do peacock gudgeons jump? Thanks for all of your help!!
My peacock gudgeon is only about 1.5-2 inches long, Completely fine with most rasboras :). The gudgeons may get stressed out by the Pygmys and all the fish in that stocking besides the gouramis are bottom dwellers. Aqadvisor is a good general guideline but it shouldn’t be the only thing you base your stocking by. I still think what I suggested above would work better, and be less stressful.

Also, if you were going to be worried about the rasboras I would take out the gouramis, they get bigger than the gudgeons.

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

jkkgron2 said:
My peacock gudgeon is only about 1.5-2 inches long, Completely fine with most rasboras :). The gudgeons may get stressed out by the Pygmys and all the fish in that stocking besides the gouramis are bottom dwellers. Aqadvisor is a good general guideline but it shouldn’t be the only thing you base your stocking by. I still think what I suggested above would work better, and be less stressful.

Also, if you were going to be worried about the rasboras I would take out the gouramis, they get bigger than the gudgeons.
OOOhhhh Yeah I thought the gudgeons only got max 1.8 inches so I was kinda confused about the Rasbora issue. Your very kind to help so much!! Thank you:))

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom