Stuck at 2ppm adding seeded material ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Doing fishless ammonia "add and wait" cycle.
As some of you know I was stuck at 4 ppm, I did water change and got down to 2 ppm ammonia, but still after 3 days no change in ammonia.
One of my secretaries has a tank and agreed to bring me a cup full of gravel in water in a baggie. She has had guppies for years and said that she has not lost any and has no algae issues.
Where should I put this in the tank when I put it in unwashed pantyhose (I already bought). Or should I put in my Fluval 205 canister filter.
Or split it and put part in tank and a few smaller sections tie them up and put in the filter with the white noodle like filter media?
Any advice accepted, wanted, and appreciated.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I am going through basically the same exact thing. I also did a 75% water change b/c the ammonia would not move at 4ppm. I would recommend putting in the filter, but I would confirm that with someone else. Good luck!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can put the pantyhose in your filter, that would probably be the best place.
It takes a lot of patience to cycle a tank, hang in there!

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know that a cup of gravel will help but it won't make a huge difference IMO. Gravel does house BB but there is more of it in the filter typically. Like I said this is a good idea but don't expect it to cycle your tank. Typically cycling a tank takes several weeks so don't get frustrated because your ammonia is staying at 4 ppm. I don't think you should be doing water changes unless you have fish in the tank, which it sounds like you don't. That will only slow down the process.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good advice above.

No one likes hearing this, but it takes as long as it takes

Putting the gravel in your filter is a great idea. There is bacteria on the gravel, though not a lot, and that will really help in the long run. It is MUCH easier for transferred bacteria to multiply and colonize new media than it is for the bacteria to set up shop from scratch, no matter how small the transferred colony is. I would make the gravel the first thing the water in the filter passes through, rather than the last.

The way you have it, with som much ammonia and a small BB colony, it's going to take some time to see any noticable changes. Water changes when doing a fishless cycle should only be done if the ammonia level gets out of hand (over 4-5 ppm). However, since you have some seeded media, I would keep the ammonia level down at 2 ppm.

Last edited:

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much. You are all right this takes a long long time . I would be ok with it but with the 19th fast approaching, I want to see some work toward the cycle. At least some Nirtrite so that I can work toward that spiking. I would really hate for her not to have fish in her tank by her birthday, but am quickly accepting that may happen. I think a company needs to start selling use filter media to be over nighted to people like me who would buy it to cycle there tank. that company would probably do a good business.
Well in a perfect world.
I am being patient, just also trying to do all I can to jump start this with my limited access to any established tank. No way can I get filter media, my secretary thought I had lost my mind asking for gravel. Everyone suggests I just put fish in and go. It amazes me that when I explain the impact on the fish, they just say. Well you can always get more. REALLY??? I am ok if some fish die, but do not want to cause it. I am also ok if someone wants to do a fish in cycle, but I don't want to go that route.
If no fish by the 19th due to not being cycled, I will wait.
Thanks for the help. I am a little disappointed, thought gravel would really do the trick, but will wait and see. At least now it should be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom