Hi all! I have a 10 gallon tank, sand substrate, with some peacock moss on top of a few rocks and a single 4x4" travertine tile "wall" covered in the moss. The moss seems to be growing well. The tank is stocked with 2 albino cories, an orange dwarf crawfish, a red cherry shrimp, and a ghost shrimp. All livestock are rather juvenile. I wanted to wait for the tank to cycle but my roommate kept twisting my arm to get some fish and put them in. When I got em, I had no ammonia but my nitrites were around 2 ppm and my nitrates were around 10 ppm. I told her it could kill the fish but she is very stubborn and stuck in her ways (older lady who has kept fish before and never worried about cycling). Anyways, I got the fish about 2 weeks ago. They're all still alive and seemingly doing very well. I've been really struggling with the nitrite levels lately (consistently around 2 ppm) and even my nitrates spiked up to 40-80 ppm. I cleaned my filter, the sponges, and some of the decorations yesterday and did a water change. I've been doing water changes once a week since getting the fishes but stepped it up to once every couple of days starting this week. Anyways, my most recent reading was today. pH: 7.4 (consistently between 7.2-7.4 since filling the tank), ammonia: 0, nitrites: 2 ppm, nitrates: 20-40 ppm. I'm rather pleased that the nitrates dropped since yesterday but the nitrites have been at 2 ppm since the beginning of June (I filled the tank roughly 1 month ago. I'll say that my tap water (yes, I treat it ... over treat it because our city puts chloramines in the water) has small amounts of ammonia and nitrates in it. The tank seems to have no problems getting rid of the ammonia but nitrites are just so darn persistent. What can I do before this hurts my fish?