Stubborn Java Moss

aquachris

So I am probably the only person in the world that has been unable to grow java moss... I have a little bit of it, its not dying, and who knows, it might be growing stupid slow... but everywhere I've read people don't seem to have this issue. What am I doing wrong?

Temp is 70-72 (unheated tank with shrimp)
kept with shrimp, bladder snails and ramshorn
ph runs somewhere between 7.8-8
Ammonia/Nitirite/Nitrate 0/0/<5 (based on bioload, barely any nitrates detectable - I dare say they are 1)
Lighting is on for 10 hours - I have no algae I've encountered in any of my tanks.
Nothing else special (not a special light, just what came for the cover of the tank, some cheap built in LED Top fin).

Is it because of keeping it in such low nitrate?

I do give API Leaf Grow weekly to the tank - I have some Seachem flourish I am going to try after this bottle is used up... Willing to give it a go if y'all think I should, just don't want to go crazy with it... I planned on switching everything in all my tanks at the same time so I can observe it as a full reaction on my plants.

I have frog bit, a few spots of Mayaca fluviatilis (trimmings from another tank), and hornwort (I plan to take this out once I get some more moss) that are all growing good. I also have an anubias nana that is doing well (I know they are slow grower so I'm okay with little progress, but its staying beautiful) and 2 small/medium sized marimo moss balls. I also have some other little tiny mystery plant that isn't growing, but isn't dying, but that might be normal lol. Everything looks great and healthy... just my moss refuses to grow.

Also it isn't fully lighted as well because of floaters? could this be why?

I'd prefer not to change lighting right now, my goal is to stay low tech for now with that... I have other projects taking up my money in other spots... But I want to grow some moss for my shrimp babies that will be coming soon (3 berried girls!!) and I have something I want to try down the road if things line up that will benefit greatly with it.

BettaFishObsessed

Java moss just grows really slowly. It sounds like everything is healthy in your tank to me for your plants. How long has it been in the tank for? If its only been a few weeks, give it a little while. Maybe tank pictures to compare. I use API Leaf Zone on my Java moss with 7 hours of light and it seems to be doing well.

aquachris

Yeah most of my plants are doing just awesome. Have had it a little over a month... Actually its a portion that came with the shrimp... It looks same amount that came with them lol.

1600303561981.png

I do have some hornwort planted, thats just so the shrimps have places to explore.. they seem to like to hang out on different layers at times. I had originally purchased java moss before, and you see some fragments of it in there thats mostly dead... That I tried doing a hydrogen dip... wont do that again.... this other moss that I have that came with the shrimp I didn't do anything with but toss in there...

Attachments

BettaFishObsessed

What happened with the hydrogen dip? What went wrong? I did it with my java moss and everything went fine

aquachris

About 24-48 hours later it went brown and croaked. There's still live fragments here and there, but it just did not care for it. It came looking crazy healthy, I was quite bummed. I only dipped it in the solution for half the time that it said (my goal really was to kill potential parasites, I really don't care about snails).

BettaFishObsessed

Drasi said:
About 24-48 hours later it went brown and croaked. There's still live fragments here and there, but it just did not care for it. It came looking crazy healthy, I was quite bummed. I only dipped it in the solution for half the time that it said (my goal really was to kill potential parasites, I really don't care about snails).
You may have left it in for too long. What was the ratio of hydrogen peroxide? I put a few drops in a small bowl with my java moss and left it in for an hour or two and it was fine but also killed any potential parasites.

aquachris

BettaFishObsessed said:
You may have left it in for too long. What was the ratio of hydrogen peroxide? I put a few drops in a small bowl with my java moss and left it in for an hour or two and it was fine but also killed any potential parasites.
I dont recall, that was well over a month ago lol - my memory isn't as good as it used to be.. I found the instructions online... maybe even here in these forums... I'm not concerned right now about that, its long gone, and now I have some good stuff that needs go get going and growing haha.

BettaFishObsessed

Drasi said:
I dont recall, that was well over a month ago lol - my memory isn't as good as it used to be.. I found the instructions online... maybe even here in these forums... I'm not concerned right now about that, its long gone, and now I have some good stuff that needs go get going and growing haha.
Haha fair

kallililly1973

Take the small random strands of java moss that is still green and put it in a mason jar in an East facing window and it will grow.

aquachris

kallililly1973 said:
Take the small random strands of java moss that is still green and put it in a mason jar in an East facing window and it will grow.
Hmm, thats an interesting idea :) I would guess with tank water?

BettaFishObsessed

Oh interesting! I will try that!

kallililly1973

Drasi said:
Hmm, thats an interesting idea :) I would guess with tank water?
We have 2 small mason jars and every 4-7 days i dump it out cuz it has a bit of a stagnant film on the surface, nothing that smells. and i just run straight up cold tap water through it a few times and then fill it to the brim and repeat a few days later. I'll add a pic in a minute. but these jars started from clumps of moss, not strands... Ya gotta start somewhere. One of the jars has a ramshorn or 2 in there so the moss is eating up the nutrients. Just my thoughts.

Attachments

aquachris

Sounds fun actually lol

aquachris

So I'm attempting this now LOL. I started it yesterday, I swear I see growth already on some of the side shoots, I don't remember them being that long. I did add some Leaf Zone. It has 2 ramshorns in it.. figured if they want to breed, thats fine with me as it gives me some extra ramshorns... I have a bazillion bladder snails, I really want to see more of these guys... Just more partial to their look LOL

1600549638056.png

Top Bottom