Struggling To Beat Ich.

1. Kjdts3

Kjdts3 New Member Member

I've been attempting to treat ich in my aquarium with heat and adding garlic to food. Today is day 14 of maintaining 86°f and the ich is still visiable. I've been doing 25% water changes every 2-3 days (typically done soon as the spots fall off). And the ich shows up... dissapears.... and returns every 4 days without fail. It's never much a spot or two per fish and not all fish affected. I'm at a loss what to do next. I don't want to medicate because it will stain my white sand. But will do what is necessary.
    I'm thinking I should either try aquarium salt or bump heat to 88°f. Perhaps both? I don't want to maintain this high temp too long. (It's been up past 83 for 3wks now, i struggled to maintain 86 in the beginning)
    Suggestions?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

3 weeks of heat is quite long. I think that the fish are stressed frim it and it compromises their immune system.

W ould let the fish cool down for about a week and choose to either do salt or heat, but not both.

3. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

Have you been gravel vaccuming at all?

4. OP
    OP
    Kjdts3

Kjdts3 New Member Member

Yes. I've done some water changes with quick sweeps to clear all visiable debris and others deep vac 1/3 of the tank per change, until whole tank was deep vac'd (3 changes, 2-3 days apart.)

I agree the heat at this point is likely counterproductive as far as the fishes immune system is conserned, but wouldn't cooling the tank allow the ich to take over?

5. Lakemontfishlover

Lakemontfishlover Valued Member Member

I use Herbtana and Artemis is all natural will not stain or compromise water quality. I rotate for 14 days, turn up temp, vaccum. Has worked well for me, good luck, frustrating I know for sure. I have been keeping my tanks temp up to 80 ish to keep ich down too.

6. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

Firstly, keep in mind you must always choose EITHER heat or meds, never both.

Secondly, heat is rather an old treatment method.

I'd recommend Kordin Ich-attack or Nox-ich. It'll be quicker and less stressful for your fish.

7. Allinone

Allinone Valued Member Member

I am suggesting salt for itching. If you have a quarantine tank, put the affected fishes in that tank and use salt. So it will not stress the healthier fishes. Stress can lead to diseases.

8. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Ich Can be hard, if had one were ich disspeared in 5days and then one where i added the medicine and with in a couple hours it was gone!

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

You are not at a true 86°F if it keeps coming back and only speeding up the ich lifecycle. Most likely you're at 84°F as the ich is attaching to fish. They stop attaching to fish at 85°F and stop reproducing at 86°F. You need to bump up the temps so it's over 86°F actual, not just the reading on your thermometer. Most thermometers are +/- 2°F.

Do not use meds/salt with heat. You should put an airstone in the tank during the heat treatment if you don't already have one. Gravel vac every day or every other day to pick up ich in the trophont and tomite/theront stages.

Moving infected fish doesn't help and only makes it worse (infecting another tank). Ich infects the whole tank, even if you only see 1 little spot.

Meds can be more stressful for fish, especially scaleless fish, so I use heat and never had issues running a tank at 88°F for 2 weeks.

10. OP
    OP
    Kjdts3

Kjdts3 New Member Member

Ahhh! This is what I was thinking and had actually chosen to bump my temp to 88 this morning before recieving your response.
    So now my question is, given that I've had my temp up so long already, how long would you suggest I leave it up now? I don't know if it would be a good idea to leave it an additional 2wks, but maybe it is necessary given my failed attempt thus far.
    I did a 15g (38g tank) water change this morning plus gravel vac. Because most the spots visable yesterday have fallen off the fish. I still see one spot on one of my tetra so I plan to do another water change tomorrow morning.
    Thanks for your help!

11. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

When I have had ich in the tank, I have boosted up to 87/88 AND did at least a 50/75 % water change. The spores will fall off and if not picked up thoroughly, will attach themselves on a host.

12. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

2 more weeks won't hurt. Still a short time for high temps for fish. Ich will die off if they can't find a host but spores could last 5 days or more. That's the reason it's suggested to go 2 weeks with heat. Make sure you have an air stone as warmer water carries less oxygen.

13. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

I disagree. Salt can be very stressful to healthy fish.

Medication is the less stressful option.

14. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

Agree with the Canadian. It won't do any good to remove fish with visible signs of ich. The disease affects the entire tank. The visible stage is one small portion of ich's life cycle. If one fish has it, they all do. Ich is invisible in one stage, and affects the gills in another. That's why you have to treat the tank for a certain period of time, not just until the spots fall off.

15. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

as stated above, meds can be stressful for scaleless fish, but they also can't tolerate salt. So, heat may be the only option. Poor little Cories.