Struggling snails with what looks like parasites?

Toshia

Hi there-thank you for the add. I am pretty new to snails. I have a 10 gallon tank with a couple mystery snails that had been doing fantastic (or as far as I could tell) and then I purchased some live plants online & rinsed them, then placed them in the aquarium. I mention the plants because my best guess is this is the culprit to bringing in some sort of parasite. Over the weekend there must have been a bloom of whatever this parasite looking thing was because I could see them with my naked eye against the dark background. The snails had a lot on them as well. Their bodies looked sort of shriveled and swollen. I removed them from the tank, rinsed off the buggers and placed them in the “infirmary tank” which is just clean prepped tank water-no gravel, plants, etc. I then did a 50% water change on the tank. I have a few shrimp in there and so far they do not seem to be effected by the aquatic ‘bugs’. By the end of the day, the snails looked much better. I put them back in to see if they would be okay & by the next morning they looked not so well again. So I removed them and ran through the same process and by the end of they day they looked improved again. So now I am not putting them back in until I feel it is safe to do so, but would like some thoughts as to what this might be that is pestering them. And how to safely get rid of it without killing my shrimp… the white background photo is when I first removed the snails-some water dropped from them onto my filing cabinet and I noticed them swimming in the dime sized water puddle. The algae ball photo-the white things visible are mostly moving and swimming. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• F0BF561F-CA1D-40BA-B144-94CCE0AE31A8.jpeg
    F0BF561F-CA1D-40BA-B144-94CCE0AE31A8.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 13
  • FAFB3995-7082-4869-940A-D1A2A30016E6.jpeg
    FAFB3995-7082-4869-940A-D1A2A30016E6.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 13
  • B2133A31-68DD-47DD-8374-6BB928A12CFD.png
    B2133A31-68DD-47DD-8374-6BB928A12CFD.png
    731.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 9EA20823-3B62-4C9F-AE91-DCF2CDAA4389.jpeg
    9EA20823-3B62-4C9F-AE91-DCF2CDAA4389.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 13

richiep

Hi Toshia welcome to fishlore.
They are not a harmful bug that will give shrimp or snail problems, looking at the 4th photo that one looks like a pond/bladder snail which can be a nuisance if not controlled, the second pic looks to be snails on the plant my guess is a Melia snail which stay small, you ma also have seed shrimp and copeapods all of which are harmless, see if you can pick one off the plant and crush it between your fingers if its a snail you should still feel the shell crack
If its copeapods or seed shrimp you'll not catch them

Toshia

Thanks for your reply :) They aren’t snails as they swim very quick dashing about. (I do have some pest snails, but they are controlled-fairly well). What you see on and around the green plant ball move quickly & leave the ball and swim. There were many (like 50+) on the snails when I removed them from the tank. I put them in fresh water (a small square holing tank and against the white background I could see all of them that came off the snails. I rinsed and dumped this water and put fresh prepared water in again and there was another swath that came off the snails. These zig and zag about so it’s east to distinguish that they are alive.I have video which would be more effective to see their movement, but it only loads the still frames.
See the dark patches on the snails body? Those cleared up once removed from the big tank. Thoughts on that if not the buggins’?

richiep

OK see if they match what's in my photo this one as both copeapod and seed shrimp

Attachments

• bug2-1.jpg
    bug2-1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 6

Toshia

OK see if they match what's in my photo this one as both copeapod and seed shrimp
They are quite tiny, so I can’t tell a shape, but I will will be able to get it under magnification when I get back to my office. I will let you know what I find out and try to get a magnified photo. Thank you!!!

Toshia

They are quite tiny, so I can’t tell a shape, but I will will be able to get it under magnification when I get back to my office. I will let you know what I find out and try to get a magnified photo. Thank you!!!

F9CC073A-0BA4-4242-99C1-AB2D9BB5A4A7.jpeg
Not very clear-they we’re munching on a softened piece of cucumber. Smaller than a RCS’s eye…maybe a quarter that size.

richiep

Are we any closer with just remember this photo is taken with a strong microscope

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 5

Toshia

Whatever it is…it seems to like cucumber.

image.jpgNot sure why my pic didn’t load before :). They are collected on a cucumber. I have 2 of these snails in that tank that never seemed bothered, but the mystery snails were. I figured it was these little bugs, but maybe my perameters were off that the mystery were more sensitive to? Thoughts?

richiep

You're gonna need to get one under a microscope to get a proper id
Take the the cucumber out and take pictures first and confirm they still move

Toshia

Okay-I will do that tomorrow. I just have a big magnifying glass-no microscope, but I think that may be okay. Stay tuned

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • MegtheDog
  • Snails
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Redrum
  • Question
  • somedudewithatank