Struggling Beginner, Fish Dying From What I Think Is Fin Rot

1. S

Safiyah Khan New Member Member

Hello,

I am very much struggling with the guppies I brought on Friday, I had one die on Sunday and another today. The lead up to dying they spend large amount of time at the top of the water, not really loving around much. For the first one they had an orange tail and that went black and then started to rip apart. And kept getting stuck in the filter and not being to control their movement. Then died.

the second one which is already has a black fin, presented in the same way of staying at the top, part of their tail went a green colour but with the melafix changed back to normal. He still wasn't swimming around properly but was able to spend some time with the other two guppies (all males). Then today it started to rip, I continued to use the treatment. Then when I get home from being out for the day to find it died being stuck to the filter. It looks as though every time it got stuck to the filter it's tail got worse.

Now one of my other gupies has got some cloudiness around the outside of their tail. I'm concerned they will die to, I did a water change yesterday of around 40%.

Currently showing 0 for ammonia, 25 NO3, 0 for NO2, 16.d for GH, 6.D of KH, 7.2 Ph, CI2.

Could really do with some advice as I am a new tank owner and concerned about where I am going wrong with taking care of these fish.

2. Megan1001

Megan1001 Valued Member Member

What size tank are they in and how many do you have?

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It appears they were sick when you got them- a bad batch. I would look elsewhere for your stock. From your description it sounds like a very aggressive bacterial infection. How many fish are left?

4. OP
    OP
    S

Safiyah Khan New Member Member

I have a 40l tank with 4 gupies but now 2.

2 left out of the 4 I got them for pets at home which I thought would be okay to buy them from. They were fine the first day just went down hill from there.

5. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It could of been bacteria or severe ammonia burns. The group was most likely exposed before you purchased. i would try to get a credit from the place you purchased. Bring in a sample of your water, to show them that your water quality is not the issue here. However, I would not buy guppy's from them again.

6. Megan1001

Megan1001 Valued Member Member

This has happened to fish I got from Petsmart. I added a bubbler and it stopped the fish from gasping at the top. If it's not a parasite in the gills then adding a bubble might help. I'm not too sure about the fins other than it might be fin rot. If it is, the tail would start turning transparent and then break off.