Struggles As A Hobbyist Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MileyMorkie, May 21, 2019.

1. MileyMorkie

MileyMorkieValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    This is stuff that I am either too lazy to try to dig for or I can’t find a definite answer for.

Ping pong balls are safe. Actually they’re not the substance used in good ones especially if you look it up leaches harmful chemicals. Whenever I search up if they are safe all sources that come up say they are perfect and vice versa.

Next is betta vacation feeds and tablets. It would be funny to let ottos suck on them. No don’t try it. I mean what use do they serve? Should I crush ‘em up and hand feed it to my guppy navy..? If I can feed them to other fish as a whole or in pieces? Do they in concept serve as an equivalent to algae wafers? I have not bought betta vacation feeds at all.

Ok this is just a "why didn't we think of that?" kind of debate but because I take an essay of explaining things I'll just link the video I found of treating contaminated water.
    Link:

What do I feed to fairy and brine shrimp? I mean yeah I can buy Sea Monkey food from the sellers website but I read something about using flour??????? I mean can my normal fine white flour work? I'm pretty sure that kind of flour is usually bleached. How much of their diet consists of algae? I found a perfect algae maker... The Aqueon 1.5 gallon betta tank light. Will that be of any use?

After the rasboras and everything died in the very rarely mentioned 3.5 gallon I should maybe get some help with it. Yoshiki will be going into that tank but I need to get around to cleaning it. First off is the mould. I have some forming in the filter area and lid, what should I use and to treat it? How hard do I need to clean it (without soap or bleach) before any contaminants are gone? I'll show photos of the 3.5 gallon tank theme from months ago as it is an interesting concept. This theme was pollution/habitat destruction but I am dead serious I didn't put anything dangerous in there. What killed the tank was me failing to do water changes so the objects in there weren't an issue. I'll send photos of the tank in the replies.

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ping pong balls. No idea

Vacation feeders usually break down faster then they are eaten fouling the water. Worst invention ever.

To feed fairy shrimp I just crushed up some flakes for them. Their filter feeders.

3. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,755
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ping pong balls are 100% safe if used to play ping pong. Beyond that...where are you putting them and what are they being used for?

Your pollution/habitat-destruction theme tank sounds like it hit the mark perfectly. Were there ping-pong balls in there? Unless you decide to change the theme, I'd leave that tank alone.

Who's Yoshiki? A fish? A dog? Your significant other? Imaginary friend?

4. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    I do have a mortar and pestle I used to grind up food for my brine shrimp. I accidentally killed them via air pump in a two litre jar. The vacation betta tablets I see commonly look like dry chewable pills or bitter/chalk candies. Whenever I hear "filter feeders" I think of creatures you just plop into a tank filter compartment.

Yoshiki is my super delta betta. I don't have ping pong balls and I'd never use them for the use for aquarium stimuli. I actually prefer soda lids since some are a labeled safe plastic.

Here’s some prototypes of the theme from early March 2019. I plan to do it again in that tank at a later point in time.

Attached Files:

5. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No filter feeders feed by filtering out particles in the water. Bamboo shrimp are another example. Clams too. I just crushed the flakes between my fingers.

6. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    That makes sense.
    I keep forgetting two other things to bring up. Explaining fillers in betta pellets to others and catching my betta named Iycho with my bare hands.
    Now yes I should use a net but he is agile, swift, and crafty. It's easier catching 20 guppies with a net than it is to catch him. And here comes controversy... manhandling my pets.
    The betta pellets with lots of fillers are really only understandable if I say they are the equivalent to Blue Buffalo.

7. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I just had to catch 18 of them out of a 75 gallon tank. It looked like a bomb went off. I used a gallon pitcher but again I had plenty of room to use it. In a smaller tank I would use a big glass. The only fish I usually go hands on is a big pleco since their spikes get caught in nets.

8. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'd just use a wet with tank water paper towel and wipe off the mold.

Holding a fish/catching via hand is not a bad thing to do so long as its exercised with caution. You'll see most photographs of import bettas being held in hand and most seller of plecos hold the plecos for photographs as well. For bettas though, I typically just get a cup and scoot the fish into it. Glass or clear plastic works well as they can't see it quite as well.

Just a heads up on keeping floating things in a betta tank, doing so can potentially cause stress on the fish. The betta may view this as a threat to it's territory and that is why you'll see them moving them around. They aren't necessarily playing, but rather trying to get the trespasser out of the territory.

9. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    In the Tetra 1.5 gallon he can hide behind or under the filter. I find my fish using the heaters, thermometers, plus other nooks and crannies they can wedge themselves into. A pygmy cory rammed face first into an odd spot once, kind of funny. I did notice he attacks snails on the surface plants so that does make sense. I actually handle my guppies since they are dumb and don't really fear my hands.

Ok can feeding less plus colder water stop my male guppies from being ****? As a very controversial as this is... do guppies have any issue or problems with smaller tanks? I am not meaning this as abuse but what would change if a guppy was placed in a 2L jar? I know and seen how bettas display their misery but guppies I think from all the inbreeding have lost a lot to their brain's evolution or growth. (I really hope this doesn't backfire on me)

10. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Guppies are considered a social fish. Which basically means you only need one of them but they need interaction with other fish. So a lone fish is a sad fish.

11. Platylover

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    no, guppies would not do well in a .5g tank. Even if they are unable to display misery, which they can, they will still be in misery.

Every fish has a minimum requirement to thrive. Maybe a guppy could survive in a tiny jar like that, but for how long? Their quality of life would be negatively impacted and they would likely experience a premature death.

The starving (not certain how much you mean by reduced feeding) and cold water (also not certain how cold you mean) will negatively affect them as well. If it's still in their temp range it should be fine but if its below it will certainly not be a good thing for them.

The minimum I'd recommend for them is a 10g, but I have seen success stories by knowledgable fish keepers of 5g's for a pair or trio. Any less than this is not a good idea IMO.

Also, why would you want to make them less "excitable" and what do you mean by "excitable"? If it's just normal behavior then there is little reason to discourage it or punish them for it. If it's abnormal then looking at the setup and other factors should be top priority.

12. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok. Mostly had that question in my mind for two hours and I couldn't ignore it. Another thing is my grandmother's original goldfish lived in a jug and went with the family anywhere, that and the concepts I grasp about guppies was an interesting idea. I somewhat desire a little companion to carry around with me someday.

13. Platylover

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Have you considered a cat, dog, or even a bird? All of which, if you get the correct personality, would likely enjoy traveling with you. A fish would get stressed if it was constantly taken out since they would be sloshing and would have little places to hide.

14. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a dog, though she plus Iycho are the embodiment of me if that makes sense. She can't stand being around strangers, other dogs, or even traveling for a vacation. I have a strange mind when it comes to certain things.

15. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  16. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have been begging my parents recently to get me a quail or chicken, surprisingly enough. I love guppies and I love chickens because of their derpy faces. Problem is I'm in an urban area but Calgary has a LESA (Livestock Emotional Support Animal) thing that makes it so I have a chance.

17. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    At first I thought it was about the craziest thing I ever read but it seems to be bonding with her and are actually sort of neat.

18. Platylover

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Poor thing! I hate it when animals dislike being around others because it just causes them to much stress. I wish they all could be protective but not stressed by others, it would make use pet owners worry less and them happier.

It also can be a little worrying if you adopt them because they very well may have been abused which caused them to be stand fish.
    thanks for the thread to subscribe too! I love chickens.
    You know, at some point you might even be able to raise and train support livestock for others. That way you've got your little buddies, but can also help others who need the support as well.
    Chickens are awesome if raised to be pets. Just like goats, squirrels, and some raccoons.

19. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +146
    Experience:
    Just started
    I might go steal those eggs from the fridge...

20. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Experience:
    2 years
    maybe you could get a service animal someday? they may help with anxiety and other issues. as far as obscure pet companions, i've seen people even take lizards like bearded dragons on trips with them. i would not recommend getting a "travelling" fish lol.