Strongest colorful Tetras

Riccardo1976

Member
Hello,

I have had a bout of white spot in my tank which killed off all my cardinals.
Currently treating the white spot.

I just wanted to know which Tetra species is the hardiest.
I would like some tetras to provide colour in the middle area of my tank.

Would lemon tetras be a good choice?

Thanks
 

JettsPapa

Member

mattgirl

Member
If you want a very active tetra you may want to look into blood fin tetra's. I have a small school (12) of them in my 55. They spend most of their time at the top of the tank and are constantly on the move. They venture away from each other occasionally but most of the time they stay in a fairly tight group.
 

jmaldo

Member
Black Neons, might not be as colorful as the other types mentioned, but... are hardy. My pack (11) are constantly on the move, mainly together.
Here's a pic.

Black Neons School.jpg

Good Luck! with whatever you decide.
 

MacZ

Member
When it comes to hardiness I prefer Hyphessobrycon and Moenkhausia species.
 
  • Thread Starter

Riccardo1976

Member
thanks.

may try with the black ones, are lemon tetra hardy too?

MacZ said:
When it comes to hardiness I prefer Hyphessobrycon and Moenkhausia species.
hi do ember tetras come under the species you mentioned?
 

kallililly1973

Member
We have 4/5 of the original serpae we started with over 3 years ago in our 55. They even outlasted the zebras. I find them to be very hardy and nice color and have never seen em bother any other fish just a little chasing amongst each other.
 

angelcraze

Member
Riccardo1976 said:
thanks.

may try with the black ones, are lemon tetra hardy too?
Yes very hardy IME. I still have one of the school and I've had him 7 years! I find them extremely active and a bit nippy in their own group only. But no issues keeping them at all.

What size of tank do you have? My favorite tetras are the larger ones like candycane and columbian.

Here's an old pic of one of my columbians
unspecified-1.jpeg
They get pretty big at 2.5 to 3 inches and very deep bodied, but their greyish blue body and red fins with a iridescent blue dorsal is a great color addition IMO.



Another favorite is the smaller red phantom.
20191122_140645.jpg
About 2" and deeper bodied than black neon. There's also the black phantom which is one of my favorites.
 
  • Thread Starter

Riccardo1976

Member
i have a 180l tank, i live in the uk so i think tne water here is different to that of the USA. Are the red phantom hardy?
 

MacZ

Member
Oh, considering you are in the UK, scratch the embers, they are an exception to the rule in Europe. All the others that were named here should be good to go.

Riccardo1976 said:
hi do ember tetras come under the species you mentioned?
Riccardo1976 said:
i have a 180l tank, i live in the uk so i think tne water here is different to that of the USA. Are the red phantom hardy?
The water can be very different within a single city. We have three areas of different water parameters in my city, which is additionally split by the River Rhine. From very hard and alkaline to soft and acidic. Friends told me similar things from cities in the UK. So, all good, most fish can be acclimated to the local water, whereever that may be. :)
 

angelcraze

Member
Riccardo1976 said:
i have a 180l tank, i live in the uk so i think tne water here is different to that of the USA. Are the red phantom hardy?
Yes red phantoms and black phantoms have been really well lived for me. The female red phantom in the pic is also 7 years old.

And I think the larger deep bodied tetras like columbian are fine in a 180l. They aren't really 'built' for speed and don't swim as far/fast as torpedo shaped tetras.
 
  • Thread Starter

Riccardo1976

Member
i think most fish here come from farms in se asia and rhe czekh republic
 

jake37

Member
I know you had bad luck with cardinals but mine are approaching 2 years old. A lot depends on your water condition and condition of the stock you buy. There is a blue tetra that escape my mind. I keep thinking emperor but that isn't right - has yellow tail. Unusual (as in not common) critter but quite colourful.
 

A201

Member
The most indestructible tetras I've kept are the Buenos Aires Tetras.
My LFS currently has some real brutes. I was so tempted to buy a group.
 

jake37

Member
Pity they like their greens ;)


A201 said:
The most indestructible tetras I've kept are the Buenos Aires Tetras.
My LFS currently has some real brutes. I was so tempted to buy a group.
 

DoubleDutch

Member

Mii

Member
Ok, some people may not like them, and this may not be what you're looking for, but hear me out. Purple GloFish tetras. Most people only keep GloFish under blue light to make them glow, but under natural light the purple ones have this really pretty shimmery color yo them. Saw it in my lfs and they would look really nice in a planted tank. Also contrary to popular belief, they are NOT DYED. The original GloFish's DNA was modified to glow under blue light, and it is passed down to the next generation of them. Aside from that they are the same as the INDESTRUCTIBLE black skirt tetra.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Mii said:
Ok, some people may not like them, and this may not be what you're looking for, but hear me out. Purple GloFish tetras. Most people only keep GloFish under blue light to make them glow, but under natural light the purple ones have this really pretty shimmery color yo them. Saw it in my lfs and they would look really nice in a planted tank. Also contrary to popular belief, they are NOT DYED. The original GloFish's DNA was modified to glow under blue light, and it is passed down to the next generation of them. Aside from that they are the same as the INDESTRUCTIBLE black skirt tetra.
Those aren't available / allowed in the UK / Europe.
 

Mii

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Those aren't available / allowed in the UK / Europe.
Oh
 

MacZ

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Those aren't available / allowed in the UK / Europe.
They are transgenic GMOs, meaning they took a gene (from one species per colour they offer) and inserted them in the fishes genomes, giving them bioluminescence under black lights. And that type of GMO is illegal in the EU, because transgenic genes can be technically inserted into other species' genomes by viruses or bacteria that are transgenic by nature and via that could be transferred to species that were never intended to get that gene. This is hypothetically possible but would take a lot of unlikely coincidences to happen. Still, people were sentenced to high sums of money for trying to smuggle them into the EU. And EU-law still applies widely to the UK, including that one.

Black skirts are not really indestructable here. But ONE is often the oldest fish in a community tank. which is telling. If they make it over a certain age they can become "immortal".
 
Top Bottom