Striped Raphael

1. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

We just started our 110 gallon fish tank not that long ago. We have six baby (almost 2 inch) cichlids of the more docile species. We bought an almost 2 inch striped Raphael catfish on Tuesday. We saw him checking things out in the tank and then he went into hiding that night after about 40 minutes in the tank. We couldn't find him. The next morning we turned over all the caves in the tank and still could not find him. Last night my husband raked the sand and no movement. When it was dark, I tried to feed him a little bottom feeder food to see if he would come out and nothing. We still have no idea where this fish is. My husband is convinced he is dead, buried in the sand. He actually wants to take out all of our decorations and move all the sand to find the fish. Is this common? How on earth do we get this thing to come out of where ever he is? And yes, we did check the floor and he didn't jump out.

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

These are notoriously shy fish. They will hide for most of the day if not all of it. I've heard if you shine a red light in the tank they may come out but i don't have a ton of experience with them.

3. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Are there any ornaments or crevices he could have squeezed inside of? You'd be shocked the spaces they can squeeze themselves into...

4. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

We have 2 caves, a cichlid stone, a pirate ship that they can hide in, and also a plane decoration that has holes that they can hide in. We also have 3 fake plants in there. We tried turning the caves all the way around to look, but we did not see anything. We still have not seen him as of this morning. All the other fish in the tank seem to be doing fine.

5. col7on Member Member

Mine is a very good hider u would be surprised where he can get as for food he will eat when he is hungry I see mine like once a month he lives buried in a log just make sure nothing is to small mine got stuck in a little tiki thing and I had to break it with a hammer

6. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

Now that our catfish has gotten comfortable we see him twice a day, He surprisingly comes out in the morning when he senses that we are feeding our cichlids. He is more visible at night while he hides and is definitely out when we feed him.

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

So you found him I take it? That's great news!

8. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

Yup :) Alive and well and not afraid of any of the other fish. One of the cichlids thinks he is boss and the catfish is not having any of it. lol