Stringy white poop?

1. Charbel Bernaba Initiate Member

I saw couple of my fish pooping white stringy not like not a normal poop...should i treat my tank with parazipro anyone know if it's good? for this kind of parasite?

2. DaniosRock Member Member

Yes, Prazipro is for internal parasites and works very well. Follow the instructions carefully and don't forget to take out your carbon filter. It takes 3 doses over 12 days so you kill the adults, larvae and eggs.

3. Charbel Bernaba Initiate Member

It says on the bottle it takes 7 days? sorry not to be rude bot how are you saying it takes 12 days? and 3 doses?

4. Matt B Well Known Member Member

Different parasites lifecycles may dictate the length of time the med needs to be administered to expose all stages of the parasite to the drug.

For general deworming I would follow the directions on the bottle, when I use this drug if I am concerned the first course was ineffective I will run a second course.

5. Charbel Bernaba Initiate Member

Can someone please explain the directions for me it says on the bottle " (1) teaspoon per 20 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 120 gallons) Measure Pond Solutions Liquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 32 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 200 gallons) This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the aquarium or pond or directly in to the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution." what does that means exactly ? my tank is 80 gallon and it says 1 tea spoon for 20 gallon so i need 4 full tea spoons?

6. benharmer87 Member Member

They even may be constipated. I seen the same thing with my platty. I got on here, asked and learned dried out peas will work without the shell cover. I tried it and sure enough it worked. No more white stringy poop

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Charbel Bernaba Initiate Member

how should i feed them dried out peas? like how should i do it excuse my stupidity

8. anz Member Member

I interpret the directions the same as you. 80 gallon= 4 tsp. What kind of fish do you have? Are the eating? Any other symptoms of illness?
    The way I feed peas is to take some peas and put them in a small container with water and microwave for a few seconds. Remove the skin and crush into small pieces.

9. DaniosRock Member Member

Sorry that I confused you. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

10. benharmer87 Member Member

You'll let peas dry out. Take off the skin. Chop it it up as small as you can. Then feed it when you usually do for a day or two. Hope this helps. Good luck

11. virusmk Well Known Member Member

When did you noticed white poop?
    What fish do you keep?

When white stringy poop apears that means yiu are dealing with parasite/bacterial infection. Do not waste time with prazipro as at this point it might be too late to treat with it as infection have progresed too far to have any sucsess with praziquantel.

Best treatment for this kind of infection is treang whole tank with metronidazole or kanamycin. Treatment should go for 7-10 days twice a day dose, depending on tipe of fish and how much infection have progresed

Best of luck and keep us posted

12. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Are they showing ANY other signs? Marks on the body, something protruding from the vent? Sunken belly? Lethargy/strange swimming? Loss of appetite?

Prazi is pretty gentle stuff both for the fish and the cycle and a good medication but, as mentioned, doesn't treat every parasitic infection out there.

Whity stringy poop can be many things. Infection, constipation, stress. If it's constipation, the pea trick usually works pretty quickly. Usually helps to fast them for 24 hours first. I've never heard of drying them out though that doesn't mean it doesn't work, I've just never heard of it lol. I buy them frozen, let them thaw in the fridge, remove the shells, cut them up to bite sized, add some garlic guard and feed.

EDIT: I just realized you've got more than one fish pooping this way. Really check them out for any other indication of infection.

13. benharmer87 Member Member

I was actually told to do that from a couple people on fishlore. It worked for me just fine

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Learn something new everyday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Charbel,

Lots of great advice so far, my best guess is that you are using the granular form of praziquantel manufactured by Microbe-Lift? I recognized the dosing instructions from personal use with my goldfish. You directions call for you to dose your 80 gallon aquarium with 4 TEAspoons of this treatment. When I treat with the granular form of prazi, I fast my fish for 1 day, then I turn off my filters (if they had carbon in them, I would remove it) and dose the tank by mixing the treatment in a tad bit of water, and spreading the granules from one side of the tank to the other. Your tank will look similar to a snow globe, the great thing about the granular form of prazi and fasting is that your fish will start consuming the small granules, thus making the treatment more effective. Everything should settle in 20 - 30 minutes. I then turn my filters on and leave the treatment in. This treatment calls for small daily water changes to be made and the tank to be redosed daily for 5 - 7 days. If you caught this early enough, your fish's immune system should be able to fight off any small infection.

If you feel that your fish are constipated, as suggested, peas work great. I usually keep a bag of frozen unsalted peas in my freezer, so I will grab one or two per fish, run them under warm water while in my hand, once they have thawed and are able to be handled and manipulated, I remove the shell, despose of the shell, squish the pea between my fingers so i create a pea mush and drop it near my fish in their tank. They waste no time going after them.

Best of luck.