Question Stressed or Sick??

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Ladies and Gents!

Sort of a long story, but basically my male platy was harassing my female too much so I bought another female. He started to attack her so I tried separating him a good 4 times over the span of 2 weeks. He was STILL attacking her, the poor thing pretty much stayed hidden in the bottom corner behind a plant.
So....I went and bought two more platys, a boy and a girl. I figured the other girl may distract him, and if not maybe the male will step up to the plate and protect the other females.
The male is fine with the other two!! He wasn't even bothered with them, he still just wanted to hunt that one little female.

SO he is in time out again. I am going to try for a straight week this time, if still no dice, I have to find him a new home.

All the fish are out swimming and happy now, except that one little female.
She's resting on the bottom of the tank, not really eating too much.
She doesn't have any torn fins or white spots or puffy eyes or raised scales or redness on the fins. I checked my water and it is all good, no Ammonia or Nitrites and Nitrates is just over 10.

Could she be sick? I read through the disease section and she's not exibiting any of those symptoms, but I can tell that something is not right. Fish are supposed to swim.....

Is she just worn out from being bugged all that time?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Quite possibly - if she is used to being chased when she comes out, then habit has taught her that if she does make an appearance that she will be attacked!

Maybe this quiet time without the male will let her know she can come out (at least until he comes back) and seeing the other platies I hope will help her out a lot.

Best of luck, I hope she calms down soon!

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I hope so too, I think she's such a cutie. So far she went into the log and hasn't come out. I'll have to check on her after work

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The male golden Mickey mouse platy in my 20g was being harassed by two other fish and he spent all his time hiding. I moved him to my 5g and he's still a little shy but at least he's happy. I think it's the same with your poor fishy, she's just learned that being out in the open means harassment so she hides.

I'd say that if repeated time outs haven't worked then the current one won't work either so if it were me, I'd just cut to the chase and rehome him now.

-Lisa

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know but I like him so much!! He's pretty small for a male, so he may have a bit of a napoleon complex, and his top fin is squared instead of pointy. It looks like he has a military haircut. He's my little mighty man.
I really want him to cut it out and leave her alone.

So far, she's still hiding. She looks healthy still and is sort of slinking around the bottom all secretly. I'm gonna give it a full week and see how she is, if she is still hiding I'm going to have to decide if I want to give her away, or him.

I'm so torn I like them both!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom