Stressed or normal behavior?

• Thread starter UnknownUser
  • Start date

UnknownUser

Well Known
My male honey gourami tends to stay in his territory of the tank. My girls don't seem to care where they are at all - top, middle, bottom, all over the place. My male will leave his zone to get food or to chase them, but typically he's in his corner where the floating plants and tall background plants are. He doesn't explore as much as my girls. Is that normal behavior for male gouramis?

Tristen

UnknownUser said:
My male honey gourami tends to stay in his territory of the tank. My girls don't seem to care where they are at all - top, middle, bottom, all over the place. My male will leave his zone to get food or to chase them, but typically he's in his corner where the floating plants and tall background plants are. He doesn't explore as much as my girls. Is that normal behavior for male gouramis?
How long has he been in the tank. Gouramis are very shy fish and take time to get comfortable. He might also be claiming that spot with all the plants and good hiding spots as his own.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Tristen said:
How long has he been in the tank. Gouramis are very shy fish and take time to get comfortable. He might also be claiming that spot with all the plants and good hiding spots as his own.
They’ve been in the tank for a few months now

CorydorasCats

My male seems to do this too! I have 1 female & 1 male.. I have since added some platys that are quite dominant in the tank and he seems to have taken a ‘step back’ and is often hiding out.. the female elegantly floats around the tank & sometimes looks like she is trying to be part of the platy crew :hilarious: but the male doesn’t venture out too much.. I’m hoping this is just his personality as he seems perfectly fine & happy!

UnknownUser

Well Known
CorydorasCats said:
My male seems to do this too! I have 1 female & 1 male.. I have since added some platys that are quite dominant in the tank and he seems to have taken a ‘step back’ and is often hiding out.. the female elegantly floats around the tank & sometimes looks like she is trying to be part of the platy crew :hilarious: but the male doesn’t venture out too much.. I’m hoping this is just his personality as he seems perfectly fine & happy!
That's good! I like hearing that it happens in other people's healthy fish too!

Tristen

UnknownUser said:
That's good! I like hearing that it happens in other people's healthy fish too!
I’ve seen it happen to mine but it stops after a few months.

Top Bottom