Stressed Fish

Sage Exotics

My dwarf gourami is always a little spooked after I do a water change, but I usually only gravel vac the front half of the tank because my fish are hiding in the back and I don’t want to stress them. I decided I’d do the back this time because it probably needed cleaning, but now my dwarf gourami is really stressed out. I did the change in the morning and she’s still a bit sluggish and jumpy, looks a bit pale too. I’ve lost fish to this before, and I dechlorinate that water beforehand and always s make sure it’s the right temperature, so I’m convinced it’s only stress. Any tips on how to do maintenance with minimal stress? What Can I do for my gourami?

DutchAquarium

move slowly when you gravel vac to avoid stress. Also, you can watch your fish for a while when they eat. this allows them to get used to your presence.

Sage Exotics

I do move slowly, and I do watch them as they eat to make sure everyone’s getting their share, no aggression, everyone is eating, etc. I also close the lid very softly because if I don’t my gourami darts behind a plant. I don’t know what else could be affecting her, but my male platy is always flaring and darting around all day, my last female died after she had like a billion fry so now he just wants some girls. My cat might bother them when I’m asleep or at school, so I can try covering with a blanket/towel on one side to prevent my cat from seeing the delectable fishies. I really don’t know what else I can do.

pugletfan

Maybe you could just clean and vac part of the back at a time, just 1/4 of the back so they still have lots of places to hide.

Sage Exotics

Yeah, I’ll try that, thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Fishowner24
Replies
Views
MacZ