Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Stressed Fish, Seeing His Reflection Help

1. k

kujapirate1996 New Member Member

After freaking out about my heaters potentially not working, testing parameter twenty thousand times, i think the best explanation for my stressed valentini puffer is the fact he can see his own reflection. This isn't your average reflection, the glass sides actually seem to be purposefully fixed as mirrors. My golsfish hasn't minded this when i used the tank for them, but my puffer is pretty upset. How the heck can i combat this??? Please help, im not sure how much longer my puffer can tolerate this stress!
    My tank is twenty gallon long, live rocks, ph is about 8, temp is 76, salinity is 1.21, no ammonia or nitrite, very low nitrates (i use the color strips, dont have exact number, sorry :c)

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm, that's a question I haven't seen yet. Perhaps reducing the light that enters the tank would also reduce the reflection. Or, I wonder if there is a type of tinting you could put on the tank that might help. I would have no idea really, but I have tinted the backs and sides of a tank before and it was a simple process.

This is unusual though... I don't have a puffer or say, something like a betta in a tank like yours, but I do have 3 20g longs housing fish and I've never noticed fish seeing their reflections.

I'm sorry, but test strips are pretty much garbage imo. They are notoriously inaccurate and easily 'contaminated' for lack of a better word... meaning environmental factors like damp fingers entering the jar just once can cause humidity in there, and this can ruin all the strips, skewing test results. I'd highly suggest picking up a better nitrate test kit for your adorable little guy. :) Personally, I find API's nitrate test kit highly frustrating due to it's inability to measure nitrates under ten, as well as the color chart showing absolutely no difference between 10 and 20, or 40 and 60, and this makes the kit highly imprecise and thus inaccurate. Salifert makes a much better nitrate test kit.;)

Advertising