Question Stressed dwarf Honey Gourami

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have two males DHG, the larger male was picking on the smaller one so I separated them. The small one is now in a 10 gallon with chillI rasboras but he's constantly glass surfing and his colors have filled. Would getting him a female help?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Brizburk said:
I have two males DHG, the larger male was picking on the smaller one so I separated them. The small one is now in a 10 gallon with chillI rasboras but he's constantly glass surfing and his colors have filled. Would getting him a female help?
Could you post a picture of both of them?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Probably, I don't really understand why they need female companionship, but they do.

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Could you post a picture of both of them?
Sorry the photos aren't better, they move so fast I had to take video and snag a still. The one with the angel still has his bright coloration. Neither have shown their blue bellies since being separated. the angels do not bother the gouramI or visa versa
Screenshot_20200309-140305.jpg
Screenshot_20200309-140138.jpg

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Brizburk said:
Sorry the photos aren't better, they move so fast I had to take video and snag a still. The one with the angel still has his bright coloration. Neither have shown their blue bellies since being separated. the angels do not bother the gouramI or visa versa
Screenshot_20200309-140305.jpg
Screenshot_20200309-140138.jpg
They both look like Honeys, what kind of aggressive behaviour where they displaying?
Honeys are typically very peaceful and even when they show their “angry” side it doesn’t usually lead to anything.

What size tank were you keeping them in?
I’d say get more, they do better in a group anyway :)

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
They both look like Honeys, what kind of aggressive behaviour where they displaying?
Honeys are typically very peaceful and even when they show their “angry” side it doesn’t usually lead to anything.

What size tank were you keeping them in?
I’d say get more, they do better in a group anyway :)
Yes they're both dwarf honey gourami.

They are separated now and yes they're two males and yes one was aggressive toward the other, very much so. My question is, will adding a female help the one that's glass surfing? One of these two was suppose to be female when I got them and no the lfs won't exchange one for a female.

I moved the one that was picked on to a 10 gallon. I'm working on getting my 75 up and running and they will go there. The 10 was a QT tank but I added sand and plants to help ease my DHG stress.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dwarf and Honey GouramI two different species :D

Maybe, having more may help it feel more at ease although 10 is a little small but since it’s temporary it should be fine. Also if he’s not been in there long there’ll still be an adjustment period like when introducing a lot of fish to new tanks.

I would get 3 or 4 more and keep them all together until your 75 is ready :)

I am curious what the aggressor was doing though? Like I said they aren’t usually aggressive.

New Threads