Stressed Discus

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Charlaboo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. C

Charlaboo Valued Member Member

i noticed something very strange tonight.. I've got 4 discus who always almost seem to be in varying degrees of stress. 3 are blue tourquise and the other is a red tourquise. They aren't babies by any means but not fully grown yet either, about 4 inches. Anyway, they almost always have stress bars, although once in awhile I get to see their beautiful normal colours (except the red one she is never happy)water tests fine in terms of ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates less than 20 ppm.. just recently added some of those almond leaves to help with ph because it was at 7.8.. not long enough for that to take effect but I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and used a flashlight to see what's up and all 4 of the discus looks beautiful absolutely fantastic, the best I've ever seen them .. no stress bars, brilliant colours and Finally I've seen the red in the red one after like a month of having her .. can discus get stressed out by too much light? I don't remember the exact bulb I have but I do remember we picked a "mid grade@ bulb because the pet store guy said the next one up was much brighter mostly geared towards growing plants and could cause algae bloom ms .. if my discus look I fine when the lights are out could it be the lights and not the oh that's the problem? Also they are being kept at 84 degrees.

I'm new to discus and I've had my head bitten off in the forum on a number of subjects so please if I did something wrong don't bite my head off.. I'm trying to learn to give my fish a good quality of life

2. Zentuckyfriedchicken

Zentuckyfriedchicken Well Known Member Member

What size tank? Discus like to be in schools of 6.

3. OP
    OP
    C

It's a 90 gallon tank right now I just have 4 but I can get two more .. I saw some peach- orange colour ones I like - does it make any difference to them what colour their new friends would be?

4. OP
    OP
    C

It seems very strange that suddenly when it's night they all looked k happy with no stress bars

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure they are around the same size because adding more will have a reestablishment of order. I would see if you can get a hold of a dimmer from walmart or online to dim the light and see if that helps them.

6. f

fishfanman Valued Member Member

Do you have dark substrate and/or background? They don't like that. Could be lighting. Turn them off during the day and see.

7. esdwa

esdwa Well Known Member Member

Pardon me for asking, why do you think stress causes bars to appear? Just curious.

8. OP
    OP
    C

I suppose because they are referred to as stress bars.. lol

9. OP
    OP
    C

Supposedly it's also a form of communication.. like when they are bullied they show the same bars

10. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

it could be the lighting, but more details are need. whats the color of background and substrate. do they have tankmates? are the eating and otherwise healthy?

lets talk about the stress bars, which I hate they are labeled that way. bars don't always mean something is wrong. bars in general were bred out of strains years ago BUT some strains like the blue and red Turq, especially Red have for the most part held on to the bars and is very common to see bars with Turqs all the time.

are they huddling together, hiding in the corners, etc or otherwise healthy...

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    C

Hi thanks for answering.. I've got a 70 gallon for the discus now and they have a few cherry barbs and danios as tankmates.. dither fish. 3 of the 4 currently seem happy and healthy they are brightly coloured torquoises.. the 4th is always, always dark and huddled in a corner by himself.. I saw what looked to me like an anchor worm on him so I've treated the tank with prazipro

12. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Ok, step up your water changes for a couple weeks, my guess is the other 3 are bullying him.
    in a 70Gl I would suggest 2-3 more Discus. this will help spread the bullying out more evenly.
    a heavier dose of water changes should help in the meantime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice