Stressed Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jess3434, Apr 8, 2017.

1. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

Hello, I am new here and I have been worried about my 2 year old male betta. He is currently in a 2o gallon tall tank, live and fake plants with many decorations. He has been clamping his fins and there appear to be tears. I am almost 100% sure it is not fin rot, as I have seen fin rot before. He is getting old and it takes him a while to spot his food and other than the clamped fins he appears to be fine. The tank is heated, filtered and all water parameters appear to be fine. I have a cycled 3 gallon Aqua Farm tank set up in case he gets sick, should I move him there? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

How long has he been in the 20 gallon? Is there other fishes in the 20 gallon with him that can cause the stress and fin damage etc? If so, I would move him.

3. OP
    OP
    j

No other fish, could he be lonely? He has been there for about a year, that is why I am very confused as to why he is suddenly acting stressed.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

. No suggestions. There are a bunch of people here who are really Betta knowledgeable. @Flowingfins and others... I hope you get some help.

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

The first step is always a water change. Do you have a photo? Going off of your description nothing obvious jumps out as a cause. Does he eat well, even though he may be slow about it? Is he active or just lays around? Does he seem to get excited about anything? Has any of this behavior changed recently?

6. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks for answering! First off, I did a water change yesterday, about 30%. I will try to take a picture and there has been no other unusual behavior. Would you recommend moving him to a smaller tank where I can do more frequent water changes more easily? He is still active, eats very well but he does seem a little scrawny, but he always has been and he gets very excited when I go to feed him.

7. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I would leave him where he is and just keep an eye on him. Moving him may just cause unnecessary stress. What is your current water change schedule? I do 50% weekly in my 5 gallon betta tanks, or you could do 2 smaller ones a week.

What food do you feed? If he's looking a little scrawny I would try adding some bloodworms or bribe shrimp, freeze dried or frozen are fine, for the extra protein. Also make sure you are feeding quality pellet or flake food. Omega one, hikari, and New Life Spectrum are all good choices. Also make sure you soak any pellets or freeze dried food in a little tank water to make it easier to swallow and digest. If you only feed once a day, try feeding smaller meals more often. Their stomachs are only about as big as their eye. If you use frozen, thaw it in tank water as well.

8. OP
    OP
    j

I feed him freeze dried bloodworms, 50% water changes 1 every 2 weeks with top ups because water evaporates. Since it is just the one fish in the 20 gallon, I figured I would not need to do super frequent water changes. Would you suggest twice a week? And I will leave him in the bigger tank. I am still trying to figure out how to upload pictures, I am new here :)

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

For pictures... are you using the app on a phone?
    On the app on my phone I click the (+) sign in the response box/bubble. This brings up options at the bottom of the response, one of which is a picture of (I think) a mountain, hit that, then I select which photo. Hope this helps.

10. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, pictures would be helpful. The first though that comes to mind is that he can't handle the weight of his fins any more. It's a common problem with older fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice