Stress Or Parasites??

1. m

mvoigt New Member Member

Cycled 10 gal planted tank with 5 neon tetras. Just did a water change before adding 2 new fish yesterday, all my readings were normal, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, except my Ph was a little basic because of the plants I'm guessing. So I added some API ph down. New fish: a baby bristlenose pleco (who is doing great) and a swordtail male.. swordtail was able to jump out of the 1.5inch gap between the tank cover and the filter at some point in the early morning before I woke up. I saw that my new fish wasn't in the tank and freaked out and found him on the floor. He was still alive! I put him back in the tank and he was swimming around fine, but I had to go to work so I covered the hole. I returned home and the tank was covered in white poop strings. He is pooping white long strings everywhere and hasn't stopped yet. Now I am reading it could be parasites...or maybe stress? I have no idea what to do because he seems fine except the poop.

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

First off u unfortunately have stocking issues. If u have no nitrates u have no cycle. A 10g tank is far 2 small for all of the fish u r housing ..tetras need a larger school and 20g minimum. What r ur nitrites? White poop does point 2 internal parasites which Praziquantel (prazipro) can treat. The stocking issues r going 2 cause stress therefore lowering the inhabitants immune systems making them susceptible to parasites and bacteria found in most tanks that they can fight off when healthy.

3. OP
    OP
    m

mvoigt New Member Member

Thanks. I didn't plan to have all of the tetras, I got 5 because I didn't think all would make it but they did. I will most likely be moving them to another tank or something. Nitrates were not a complete zero but very low, sorry should have been more specific. Will prazipro hurt the other fish? I should just treat the entire tank?

4. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Prazipro is gentle on fish and inverts and will not harm ur nitrogen cycle. I do recommend dealing with the stocking/overstocking as soon as possible....rehoming some is a good idea too. If those issues aren't solved it will lead to more issues (poor water quality, stress, lowered immune system, inability to fight off bacteria, parasites found in most aquariums......)