Stress Coat or Aquasafe...or both??

1. ~Fanci~ Member Member

I'm new to the aquarium world and recently bought a 10-gallon starter kit a few weeks ago that included a sample pkg of both Stress Coat & AquaSafe. I used the recommended amounts of these and I also added 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt. My question now though is what chemicals do I need to use for a water change and what is best?? Should I treat any new water with the required amounts of both products? I have a 2.5 gallon water jug and bucket am doing a 25% water change/week.
    Also, I read in a few spots that it is a good idea to let your tank and fish "do it's thing" for 4-6 weeks before doing the 1st vacuuming. Is this true? I worry that I have stirred up a lot of the gravel (translate to extra food and fish poop) and am concerned about waiting so long to vacuum.
    I have 2 Dalmation Molles, a highfin pleco and 4 plants (java fern, anubias and wisteria) PLUS 9 fry in a holding net that are 5 days old.
    Any help is VERY, VERY appreciated as one of my fish is currently separated in a 1 gallon tank and is not doing well. Looks like it may be ich, but he is also swimming very irregularly :( Please help!

2. DRock914 Member Member

2 tablespoons of salt is way too much. It sounds like you set your tank up for brackish water. I'm not familiar with AquaSafe but It sounds like it is a different product then your stress coat. Does AquaSafe get rid of chlorine? If so then you should be using both. I use the amount of how much water I put into the tank on water changes. It is not a good idea to not do any WCs for 4-6 weeks. Some people recommend WCs every day when you first setup your tank but I did them every 3 days. When I do WCs I add 1/8 of a tablespoon of aquarium salt. If I were you I wouldn't add any more salt for a couple of WCs so you can get your salinity down. Other people will be by for some help too so don't just rely on my word.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Salt isn't necessary in freshwater tanks and some fish (like the pleco) and plants(wisteria) won't do well with it. If you don't add salt when doing water changes the water will dilute the salt and soon it will be gone.
    Stress coat gets rid of Chlorine and chloramines so that is really all you need. I think both of those are included in the set up as more of advertisement than because you need both.
    Most of our members recommend prime as a water conditioner but since stress coat is what you have it's ok to use it.
    Do you have a test kit? Aquarium Pharmaceutical freshwater master kit is an excellent test kit.
    Your aquarium information says you know about the nitrogen cycle. then you know that your fish are going to eat, pass waste and it's going to turn into ammnia. With out enough beneficial bacteria built up yet to feed on the ammonia the ammonia ia going to be toxic for your fish. This is where water testing and water changes come in. You will need to do them to keep your fish safe. This will make your tank cycle slower but it's the only way to keep your fish safe.

Sorry you have a sick fish but good job keeping it separate from the other fish. Raising the water temp over 82F for 14 days and doing every other day water changes and substrate vacuums should see it better in no time.
    Good luck and let us know if you need anything
    Carol

4. ~Fanci~ Member Member

Thank you both for the replies and advice! I have been doing water changes but without a vaccum,just scooping about 2 gallons of water out and refilling with water prepared with the StressCoat, Aquasafe and a little aquarium salt (the 2 tbsp was what I used on the full 10 gallons when I set up the tank). I was planning to do the water changes using a vaccum after the 4-6 weeks. Do you think that was bad info and that I should begin the water changes w vacuum now? I was going to try 25% change per week.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Fanci welcome to FishLore :)
    I would recommend vacuuming once a week to get any left over food and fish waste out of the tank.
    As it breaks down, it'll create ammonia in your tank. The leftover food can also go moldy.
    Do you know what your readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    You don't need 2 water conditioners, one is fine.
    If you have ammonia or nitrite readings, I would recommend you switch to Prime.

Your little one with Ich...is the 1g tank heated? Are you treating it in any way?

6. ~Fanci~ Member Member

I have plans to stop and pick up a vacuum on my way home from work. These comments are so appreciated everyone! As for my sick Molly I am really hoping it is stress from what may now be poor cleaning on my part these last few weeks. Other than yesterday though,my test strips have been showing good levels...the 1 gallon tank isn't heated but the light keeps it around 74. I'm going to talk to my LFS and see what they recommend and if they think it is Ich. Right now there is no medications in the tank with him but I did treat the water with both conditioners and a little aquarium salt.

7. DRock914 Member Member

I would recommend getting a heater for the 1 gallon tank that can reach temps over 85 because Ich will not be cured unless the water gets to that temp without using meds. In the past one of the tanks in my house used a med to cure ich and it ended up staining the tank green. I am not sure which med it was but I wouldn't recommend using any. I am currently fighting off an Ich problem with my rummynose tetras. When raising the temp you need to do it slow or you will shock your fish and possibly kill them. Raise about 2 degrees over a day until you reach 85.

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

test strips give false readings most of the time. Like Butterfly suggested, the API master liquid test kit is what is used by a lot of members. They usually runs between $20-$40.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. I have moved your thread to the "water conditioners" section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

10. ~Fanci~ Member Member

Hi again AND thanks again everybody for your wonderful comments and advice. I think I've got a handle now on the products and equiptment I'll need for a healthy, happy tank. I don't plan on using the salt anymore (my poor littl pleco must be pretty unappreciative of it right now) and have purchased a gravel vacuum, test kit and a bottle of Prime to try for a more successful tank cycle. The Molly is still in the 1 gallon and receiving Ich treatment, but I am going to put him back in the regular tank tonight and begin treating the whole tank.