Stress Coat and stress zyme

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.6 gallon tank trhat I'm using as a Q tank. It has been cycling for about 2 weeks (fishless). The tank came with 2 small packets. Stress Coat and Stress Zyme. At the time I didn't know what they did, so I just put them to one side and didn't use them. Today I thought that maybe I should ask what they do. I think I read something about stress zyme a couple of days back.
Is it true that Stress Zyme speeds up the cycling process?
If so, should I put some in to help speed it up?
What about Stress Coat?
If not, what do they do?

Thanks

Gwenz

Mmmsushi

Reaction score
I am trying Stress Zyme and well it is week 3 and I am still cycleing. I hear that Bio-Spira is by far a better product for cycleing a tank. If my tank hasn't finished its cycle by this weekend I plan on picking some Bio-Spira up and trying it. I have been told it works in less than a Day.

Kelley

Reaction score
Mmmmsushi, If you go and get the Bio-Spira I would do a massive water change 90-100%. From what I have been reading on this is you add water and with in 1 hr all your fish. but others know more then me on the use of this product. You might also look here on the forums for more info.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kelley you are correct about the Bio-spira.
I have used the stress coat and liked it. It is used to dechlorinate your water and to aid the fishes slime coat.The only downside I found and the reason I stopped using it is that it tends to build up in the tank and cause tiny bubbles onthe top of the water. It's not harmful but can be unsightly. The stress Zyme i have not used but have not heard of anyone reporting that it sped up their cycle.
Carol

Mmmsushi

Reaction score
Kelley said:
Mmmmsushi, If you go and get the Bio-Spira I would do a massive water change 90-100%. From what I have been reading on this is you add water and with in 1 hr all your fish. but others know more then me on the use of this product. You might also look here on the forums for more info.
Cool, that works, I wanted to move the tank to a taller stand so the kids will stop tapping on the glass anyway. 20-30 lbs is alot easier to move than 110 lbs.

My readings havn't changed in over a week, other than Ammonia and I keep up with it with daily water changes.

PH - 7.0
Ammonia: 1-2 (Shoots strait to 4-8 if I don't change daily)
NI - 0
NA - 5

I have already called my pet store and reserved the Bio-Spira, they tend to sell out fast. So I can add 3 Guppies, 6 Neon Tetras, and my pleco all at once after an hour or so? I thought I had to space them out so the cycle could adjust to the fish load.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I live in Uk. Would I be able to get Bio-Spira here?

Gwenz

Mmmsushi

Reaction score
No idea. I tried to find a place to buy it online and didn't have much luck. What I did was I went threw the phone book and looked for pet stores that advertized as being primarily a fish pet store. Then I called each one and asked if they carried the product. I only found one place in the Kansas City area that did. They typicaly get a shipment every other week and always run out of the Freshwater Bio-Spira, they also mentioned that they were the only store in the KC area that they knew that carried the product. Also ask how they store the product. Because it is live bacteria it is typicaly frozen, so you shouldn't find it out on a shelf next to Stress Zyme or Cycle.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Follow the instructions on the Bio-Spira exactly to the letter and it is great. Don't think it's suppose to be frozen though, just kept refrigerated.
Carol

Mmmsushi

Reaction score
10 gal, but I got it from Walmart when I got the tank. Long story short I know it will grow to big for the tank, but I will worry about that when the time comes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom