Stream Plant

ChaseAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Got this plant from a stream near my home in Pittsburgh PA area. Looked around on the internet but I could decide what this was. Any ideas?
1527365047911.jpeg

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ChaseAce said:
Got this plant from a stream near my home in Pittsburgh PA area. Looked around on the internet but I could decide what this was. Any ideas? View attachment 441750
Looks like quackgrass... What's the root structure? Rhiozomes confirm quackgrass, crown or surface runner will be something else.

ChaseAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now that I'm looking it up it seems like that's what it is, but I'm a bit confused. I didn't think quackgrass grew underwater? The plants I collected were in the middle of the stream in one of the deeper areas so it's always underwater. Is that a normal thing for quackgrass?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ChaseAce said:
Now that I'm looking it up it seems like that's what it is, but I'm a bit confused. I didn't think quackgrass grew underwater? The plants I collected were in the middle of the stream in one of the deeper areas so it's always underwater. Is that a normal thing for quackgrass?
Not really, but it's a marsh plant. Elodea grows in my back yard, so who am I to tell Mother Nature she's putting plants in the wrong places?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom