Stream Of Bubbles Coming From Substrate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kristeng121593, Apr 12, 2018.

1. k

kristeng121593 New Member Member

Hi everyone! I’ve had my goldfish tank set up for about a year now and just recently noticed that there is a stream of bubbles coming up from under the substrate. I have a bubble bar in the back of the tank but these bubbles are coming from a separate spot. The tank also smells vaguely like sulfur.... I am curious whether this is an air pocket, and if so, what should be done about it. It’s tempting to stir up the substrate where the bubbles are coming from, but I wasn’t sure whether that could be a bad idea.

2. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

It shouldn't be that bad since if you left it alone it'll get worse. You probably missed that spot when you gravel vac.

3. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

How deep is your gravel? Deep gravel can build up toxic pockets of anerobic bacteria which are lethal if released. That sounds unlikely in this case, but just to be sure I would remove the fish before exploring that section of gravel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice