Strawberry Dottyback

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameliadanielle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does anyone know anything about behavior with other dottybacks? I read somewhere when one is being aggressive you can put a mirror up against the tank near where they live and it will keep them occupied. I had already set up a new tank and moved the dottyback due to aggression before I read it, but I did decide to try it and see what would happen.

When I put the mirror up, the first thing the dottyback did was hide. Then, he kept going right up to the mirror and staring at himself, and then he would almost roll over and lay on his side on the sand and then get up and look in the mirror again. It almost looked like submissive instead of aggressive behavior. Like a dog rolling over to expose it's stomach. He didn't show any aggression towards his reflection, just the odd behavior of constantly rolling over and playing sick or dead.

I didn't leave it there more than five minutes to see if any aggression would start, as I may add a damsel to the tank and I want to keep that trick fresh in case it gets ugly with the addition of a new fish and I have to distract him. Is this normal behavior?

OP
A

ameliadanielle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got a video of him doing it, I just don't know how to upload it. I'll have to hook my phone up to the computer and see if I can pull it off the phone. I normally just upload everything to facebook directly from my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom