Strangest Thing I've Ever Heard

Iridium_2256
So, my friend has a 60 gallon-I guess you could say- misc tank with a giant pleco, some mollies, clown loaches and a pretty big rope fish. He says a few days ago, 3 fish appeared in his tank that he thought may have been ropefish babies. He took a video of them, and they turned out to be 3 decently sized khulI loaches. He never bought them and hasnt added anything new besides decorations that have been out of water for years. How is this possible?

Attachments

• Loach.jpg
    Loach.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 167
Rojer Ramjet
With a tank that over filled, who knows?

Iridium_2256
I don't think 10 fish in a 60 gallon is overstocked.

Sion
I don't think 10 fish in a 60 gallon is overstocked.
Clown loaches and common plecos need a tank around 100 gallons or bigger.

The kuhlI must of been added at some point, whether accidentally with plants or other fish or on purpose. They aren't like killifish where the eggs can lay dormant and dry for long periods of time. Bear in mind Kuhlis are super hiders especially when kept in small numbers.

bitseriously
How is this possible?
Unless you go with divine intervention (ichthyogenesis), the only possibilities are:
- they were there all along, and he never knew (how long did you say since it was set up, or fish added?)
- guerrilla stocking (someone crept in when no one one home, and mysteriously added 3 kuhlis)
Perhaps others can come up with additional plausible scenarios.

JoeCamaro
I have had fish vanish, never to be found, not even carcasses. I have read many other similar stories.
Maybe those disappearing fish appear in other people's tanks. Maybe somebody in this forum will post about 3 missing kuhlI loaches... What do you think Mary765 ?

Mary765
I have had fish vanish, never to be found, not even carcasses. I have read many other similar stories.
Maybe those disappearing fish appear in other people's tanks. Maybe somebody in this forum will post about 3 missing kuhlI loaches... What do you think Mary765 ?

I have had fish go missing before. Just poof, gone!!

I have also had PARTS of fish go missing too. Not like a fin nip or something but the whole stomach being replaced with smooth scales up to the inside of the back bone overnight..

I need to find that vortex and bring back all my fish. One day

Kyleena696
I have also had PARTS of fish go missing too. Not like a fin nip or something but the whole stomach being replaced with smooth scales up to the inside of the back bone overnight.
Sorry to take this thread off topic, but you've really confused me! What do you mean the stomach being replaced by scales?? Do you have pictures of that??

Iridium_2256
Well, it may not be a 60, it could be larger. It's my friends tank and he just guessed at it.

Oh also Mary765 now I'm interested

Mary765
Sorry to take this thread off topic, but you've really confused me! What do you mean the stomach being replaced by scales?? Do you have pictures of that??

Well, it may not be a 60, it could be larger. It's my friends tank and he just guessed at it.

Oh also Mary765 now I'm interested

The black part is java moss. You can't see the inside part but it is an indented wall of smooth scales.

... Like a bowl

Attachments

• 20180314_075028.jpg
    20180314_075028.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 157
Kyleena696
The black part is java moss. You can't see the inside part but it is an indented wall of smooth scales.

... Like a bowl

What the heck!! That looks like a shark attack lol, just a bite to see if the fish was tasty. But I can see what you're talking about, how he just kind of caved in. So weird!

Mary765
What the heck!! That looks like a shark attack lol, just a bite to see if the fish was tasty. But I can see what you're talking about, how he just kind of caved in. So weird!

This is why I am starting a petition to find the vortex! It's got to be somewhere and C L e a r l y it's a big issue in the aquarium community!

Iridium_2256
Well, I'm gonna say that's where my friend got the loaches from then. Plus, free fish are always nice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
ap4lmtree
Top Bottom