Strangely acting pair of ADFs

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by iroze, Aug 9, 2014.

1. i

iroze Valued Member Member

Hi all,
    so I have just recently gotten a new boy ADF to add to the tank of a girl ADF I've had for two years. This is her first boyfriend and she's very happy about it. They've already consummated their relationship several times and both seem very satisfied with each other. However, last night they had another... erm... good date, and I am pretty sure they haven't disconnected since then! Now, I've read that amplexus takes several hours but it's morning now and the boy won't let go, he's still holding on for dear life and the girl looks like she's trying to shake him off. Should I interfere? Or is this normal?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

There's a good chance he wasn't hugging her all night.
    You're probably just seeing another love fest.

She shouldn't have any problems eating or getting up for air with the male attached.

Are you going to try and raise tads?
    It's pretty cool to watch them develop.

3. OP
    OP
    i

They are still at it! My concern is for the male. How is he getting air throughout all this?
    The female ate some of the eggs and got air several times. The male is still holding on to her for dear life.

Afraid I do not have the skill, time or capabilities to grow tadpoles. But this whole weird sex act is freaking me out.

4. OP
    OP
    i

They are still attached! No idea what to do at this point. Do I separate them? Can the male suffocate during the act?

5. Lucy

That does seem a bit excessive. lol

I've never heard of an ADF drowning during amplexus.
    I'm fairly sure he'll let go before that happens or when he gets hungry.

Something I have seen mine do is the male let go for s short period of time then grab the female again.
    I suppose if I didn't happen to see it I'd think he didn't take a break.

Not that I'd recommend this but uhhhhh.....I have startled mine to make the male let go.
    He was holding her wrong so she was upside down.
    She'd flip then he was upside down.

I finally reached in and swished the water near them and he let go.
    Not sure that's a good idea but I did it anyway.

6. OP
    OP
    i

They detached finally after two seemingly solid days of consummating their relationship. I mean, I'm happy for them and everything but I think on some level it makes my husband uncomfortable, so the froggies and I will probably have to have a very stern talk before they go at it again :)
    Thanks so much for your support.

7. Lucy

Randy little things. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice