Strange Yellow Balls? Plant Seeds?

George1992

Reaction score
I keep seeing these yellow balls on my substrate. I first thought it was out of the Colombo root tabs capsules that I buried because the Kribebsis has been digging. However, I keep seeing more of them. They also look too big to be from the capsules. Is there a possibility that they could be seeds from any of my plants? The plants I have are echinodorus ozelot and Reni, rotala rotundifolia, bacopa carolinia, lobelia cardinalis, java fern, Anubias nana and petite, cryptocoryne usteriana, bucephalandra.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try opening up the root tab capsules and seeing what's inside. If you see little round balls... you're probably paying a lot for mere gel capped osmocote.

on Amazon
1000 gel caps is about $12
Osmocote bottle as big as the bag of caps is $7
Osmocote root tabs on Amazon 50 for $9

Expense = $19
Revenue = $180
Net profit $161

If I buy root tabs, they gotta be non osmocote and non gel caps. Flourish tabs or API root tabs. The only reason I buy is when I'm planting/fertilizing shallow (2-3 inch deep) or loose substrate that doesn't hold down gel caps and osomocote granules. My pond pots I use osmocote, but they have substrate depts of 6-10 inches ensuring that the caps or granules never come up.

Last edited:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look exactly like Osmocote granules. When I see them pop up, I just plant them back in as deep as I can under the plant roots with planting tweezers. If I accidentally puncture one, it's like a dusty powder inside. It's better to have them buried because if they dissolve too quickly, they would release too much fert at once including ammonia. So I also don't like to use too many at once because of this.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom