Strange white splats on aquarium glass...

Sweetie07

Hi guys, I've got a wierd situation where I've found a lot of strange white splats on the aquarium glass, and even on my biggest Rabbit snail and a couple of my aquatic plants? I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what they are.. I have a 105ltr freshwater tank, with Platies and 1×black Molly fish, some rabbit snails, a couple of Pink Ramshorns and a couple of Tadpole snails that my friend sent me (these will hopefully get removed soon as the amount of jelly spawn stuff they're producing is freaking me out a bit,I must admit!) Any ideas please? I've enclosed a close-up picture of some of the splats on the glass and on my biggest Rabbit snail Marmalade ;-) Thanks in advance! xx

Attachments

• 20210108_112544.jpg
    20210108_112544.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 78

Madeline Peterson

Those are probably slime molds. If you watch for a while, you will see them slowly moving around. They are not dangerous to your fish, but you could probably remove them one by one with a turkey baser if you don’t like the way they look. You might need to perform regular removals, though, because they breed pretty quickly and even one is enough to establish a population.

Food source wise, they're probably eating your decaying leaves and the bacteria colonies on them. You could probably starve them out by removing the decaying leaves from your aquarium for a while, and then getting completely new leaves so you don't just reintroduce them, but aside from starvation and the turkey baster, I'm not sure how you could get rid of them permanently.

On the plus side, they're making your blackwater tank more authentic, lol. I think they're cool, personally. I don't suppose you're in the Dallas area, by any chance? I'd love to have a few.
Oh, apparently armano, ghost, and velvet shrimp will eat them. Those would be cool in your tank anyways.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Hi Madeline,
Firstly, thanks so much for replying to my post. I was beginning to give up hope that anyone was going to!
Unfortunately I haven't got a Blackwater tank hun, my tank is freshwater. I also don't have any decaying leaves in my tank: as soon as any of the leaves on my aquatic potted plants start to look like they're decaying, I remove them as I'm always paranoid about them altering the water clarity and hurting my fish/snails? I've been watching the splats closely and I can't see them moving, although they do appear to have got worse overnight. They wipe off easily with a tank sponge cleaner thingy, I was just wondering what on earth they were really! Reassuring to hear you don't think they're dangerous though - I don't have shrimp but the snails haven't been near to eat them.. You'd be more than welcome to them if I lived in Texas: unfortunately however, I'm 4749 miles away I the North East of England, ha!.

Upvote 0

Redshark1

I was going to suggest they are fungal, but slime moulds aren't really fungi.

I think they are indicative of excess organic items and bacteria in the tank. If you can cut down on food and other organic additives it should help eliminate them naturally.

Upvote 0

V1K

White thingies aside, what's with all the mud? I can barely see your snail. The photo isn't clear, but looks a bit like cyanobacteria to me. I'm more concerned about that bit.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

White thingies aside, what's with all the mud? I can barely see your snail. The photo isn't clear, but looks a bit like cyanobacteria to me. I'm more concerned about that bit.
There is no 'mud' - it's just a bit of a rubbish photo, but it's the only photo that would load with the thumbnail thing. There is a not of algae around the bottom of the glass above the gravel, but I tend to leave that for the snails - there is no cyanobacteria...
I was going to suggest they are fungal, but slime moulds aren't really fungi.

I think they are indicative of excess organic items and bacteria in the tank. If you can cut down on food and other organic additives it should help eliminate them naturally.
Thanks Redshark1 - I'll try that

Attachments

• 20210109_152022.jpg
    20210109_152022.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Hi, black water is fully freshwater - black water simply means a tank that uses tannins!

I agree that cutting down on extra food should help

Upvote 0

coralbandit

How much water do you change how often ?
Looks like overfeeding and old water are the issue ?

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Hi, black water is fully freshwater - black water simply means a tank that uses tannins!

I agree that cutting down on extra food should help
Hi erinw347, I haven't got a Blackwater tank,.I don't use tannins (or use Indian almond leaves/tank wood or bark in my tank etc) and the only aquarium plants are potted regular aquatic plants from my local Pets at Home store. I remove all dead leaves from those as soon as I see any so they don't mess up the water. I have been putting blanched veggies in for the snails and the Platies recently though, which could mean I'm overfeeding, it's just hard to know if the snails are getting enough food with the greedy fish, so I'm obviously doing something wrong! :-/ Thanks for your reply
How much water do you change how often ?
Looks like overfeeding and old water are the issue ?
Hi coralbandit - I do a 20/30% weekly water change? Strangely, I've just came home after being out for a couple of hours and a lot of the splats are gone, so maybe something's eaten them (either the snails or the fish?)

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

I'm glad the white splats are vanishing, lol. It'll make your tank look better, if nothing else. Not sure why I assumed your tank was blackwater, but if it's not, well, they have to be eating some sort of rotting organics, and, generally, enough rotting organics to feed that many slime molds is not good for your tank. Figure out what they're eating, stat, or you might end up with an ammonia spike.

As for them moving, it's really, really slow. However, if you pay attention to where they are in your tank and then look again in 24 hours, some of them may have moved to where there is more food. Or, if you set up a camera for 24 hours and then watch the video on fast forward, you might see them move that way.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

It must be the blanched veggies I've been putting in for the snails that's contributing to overfeeding, I don't know? But yes I've been keeping an eye out for ammonia spikes with my trusty test kit, and so far it's remained at 0 with weekly partial water changes, so I'm not worried. I just wondered what they were to be honest Still no sign of movement but I'd love to have a 24hr camera to spy on the tank, that would be awesome! :-D
Oh and Madeline - you possibly thought my tank was Blackwater because if my rubbish photography skills (lol) but it was the only photo I could get to load with the thumbnail thingy, and unfortunately it was the worst photo I had! :-/ All the rest of the shots I tried to add were rejected.
I'm glad the white splats are vanishing, lol. It'll make your tank look better, if nothing else. Not sure why I assumed your tank was blackwater, but if it's not, well, they have to be eating some sort of rotting organics, and, generally, enough rotting organics to feed that many slime molds is not good for your tank. Figure out what they're eating, stat, or you might end up with an ammonia spike.

As for them moving, it's really, really slow. However, if you pay attention to where they are in your tank and then look again in 24 hours, some of them may have moved to where there is more food. Or, if you set up a camera for 24 hours and then watch the video on fast forward, you might see them move that way.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I’ve never heard of an aquatic slime mold. I agree, it certainly looks like one, but I’ve never seen one that’s fully aquatic.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

I’ve never heard of an aquatic slime mold. I agree, it certainly looks like one, but I’ve never seen one that’s fully aquatic.
Hi Kribensis27 - I've never heard of it either

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

Hi Kribensis27 - I've never heard of it either
Google slime mold aquarium. They exist.

Upvote 0

BigB322

It comes off your snails idk exactly what it is, but I had a ton of it in one of my tanks with mystery snails. It doesn't seem to be harmful just more of an eyesore. Someone suggested adding some crushed corral or cuttlebone to my tank for them and I haven't had it since, so I assume it is due to lack of calcium in the tank for them. I could be wrong, but it worked for me.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Google slime mold aquarium. They exist.
Totally believe you honey, I'd just never heard of it til you mentioned it ;-)
It comes off your snails idk exactly what it is, but I had a ton of it in one of my tanks with mystery snails. It doesn't seem to be harmful just more of an eyesore. Someone suggested adding some crushed corral or cuttlebone to my tank for them and I haven't had it since, so I assume it is due to lack of calcium in the tank for them. I could be wrong, but it worked for me.
Hi BigB322 - actually I think I agree with that - I've just found some similar white marks in my smaller snail tank, which has no fish in (only snails) and hasn't been running as long as my big tank so it's crystal clear algae-wise in comparison - where do you get crushed cuttlebone from please? That's good advice, I'll try that if I can find some - thanks! I've also found an abundance of snail eggs today too, so maybe there's a connection..
PS: this was a picture I took last night, the white splats are nearly all gone (yey!) I think the eggs I've found are from the tadpole snails (they look like frogspawn?) but there's now a couple of pink Ramshorn snails lined up on them so I'm hoping they might be eating them (gross but handy!)

Attachments

• 20210110_201211.jpg
    20210110_201211.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210108_102451.jpg
    20210108_102451.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

I've got a bit of cuttlebone in my snail tanks. You can get them pretty much anywhere you can get pet supplies. Look in the bird supplies aisle. Don't worry about getting real cuttlebone; the fake stuff will work just as well for snails. I have the fake stuff, and I got mine on Amazon.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I've got a bit of cuttlebone in my snail tanks. You can get them pretty much anywhere you can get pet supplies. Look in the bird supplies aisle. Don't worry about getting real cuttlebone; the fake stuff will work just as well for snails. I have the fake stuff, and I got mine on Amazon.
I agree, it's fairly easy to get. Real or fake, it just needs to be a good source of calcium.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

I've got regular pieces of cuttlebone from the budgie supplies aisle in my local pet shop for the snaila in my tanks too Madeline, I've just never seen crushed cuttlebone sold anywhere?

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

I've got regular pieces of cuttlebone from the budgie supplies aisle in my local pet shop for the snaila in my tanks too Madeline, I've just never seen crushed cuttlebone sold anywhere?
I don't think anyone sells precrushed cuttlebone. I think a small piece should be enough, but if you want to add a bunch crushed, try putting some pieces in a gallon zip lock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

I don't think anyone sells precrushed cuttlebone. I think a small piece should be enough, but if you want to add a bunch crushed, try putting some pieces in a gallon zip lock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
Eeeek I honestly didn't think of that - I thought it was a special product for a special purpose... oops!

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

Eeeek I honestly didn't think of that - I thought it was a special product for a special purpose... oops!
Sounds like one of my blond moments, lol. My husband teases me about them sometimes. I'm brilliant when it comes to computer science and biology, but the obvious stuff does occasionally escape me.

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Really, I think any source of calcium would work. If you have a filter that you can squeeze a bag of media in, then I would get some crushed coral (sometimes used for African cichlid substrate, or water buffer) and put it in a little media bag. Or you can just sprinkle some on the substrate, depending on whether amy of your fish might scrape themselves (like cory catfish or something).

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Sounds like one of my blond moments, lol. My husband teases me about them sometimes. I'm brilliant when it comes to computer science and biology, but the obvious stuff does occasionally escape me.
I have them several times a day if I'm honest, but I really am blonde in my defence, haha
Really, I think any source of calcium would work. If you have a filter that you can squeeze a bag of media in, then I would get some crushed coral (sometimes used for African cichlid substrate, or water buffer) and put it in a little media bag. Or you can just sprinkle some on the substrate, depending on whether amy of your fish might scrape themselves (like cory catfish or something).
That's a good idea - I've got a Fluval U4 filter so I could probably fit some in the media basket in the centre of that actually.. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

I actually didn't know it wasn't its own product either! Nor that it was a bird related product, not fish related (obviously it is a fish bone, but meant for birds).

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

I actually didn't know it wasn't its own product either! Nor that it was a bird related product, not fish related (obviously it is a fish bone, but meant for birds).
Ah well I don't feel quite as bad now lol - to be honest I only knew it was good for snails when I bought my 1st Nerite 8mnths ago and asked the girl in the pet shop what extra things I could get for him!

Upvote 0

BigB322

You don't crush the Cuttlebone, crushed corral is the only one that is crushed, you can easily add it to your filter, but it is more to bring your Ph up rather then supply calcium to the snails. My apologies I should have explained that better.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

You don't crush the Cuttlebone, crushed corral is the only one that is crushed, you can easily add it to your filter, but it is more to bring your Ph up rather then supply calcium to the snails. My apologies I should have explained that better.
Ah I see, ah well I don't really want to raise the PH levels in case it affects my fish. Well thanks for clarifying that

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Oops. I forgot it changes the ph. (I had it with my African cichlids, so they didn't care lol).

Would a Wonder Shell work then?

Upvote 0

BigB322

Ah I see, ah well I don't really want to raise the PH levels in case it affects my fish. Well thanks for clarifying that
N/p just toss some cuttlebone in the tank so they have calcium and it should fix the problem.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Oops. I forgot it changes the ph. (I had it with my African cichlids, so they didn't care lol).

Would a Wonder Shell work then?
What's a Wonder Shell?o_O
N/p just toss some cuttlebone in the tank so they have calcium and it should fix the problem.
I've already got a bit of cuttlebone in the tank for the snails, it's been there all along

Upvote 0

BigB322

What's a Wonder Shell?o_O
You can buy them off Amazon they are fast desolving shell shaped blocks that add calcium quickly to the water, they don't last long and you will have better luck with cuttlebone then those. You can add one to the tank when you add the cuttlebone to bring the calcium content up until the snails find the cuttlebone and use that.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

You can buy them off Amazon they are fast desolving shell shaped blocks that add calcium quickly to the water, they don't last long and you will have better luck with cuttlebone then those. You can add one to the tank when you add the cuttlebone to bring the calcium content up until the snails find the cuttlebone and use that.
Are they like the snail mineral blocks I've been buying (also from amazon)? Little white chalky - looking square/round blocks?
Are they like the snail mineral blocks I've been buying (also from amazon)? Little white chalky - looking square/round blocks?
Ooops sorry I've just re-read that and saw you said she'll shaped - I'll go on and have a look..

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Ooops sorry I've just re-read that and saw you said she'll shaped - I'll go on and have a look..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C5PUCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TFl.FbJT77YMN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have heard them recommend for calcium deficiencies in shrimp and snails before, but never used them personally. I wasn't aware they dissolved fast, but it makes sense as the bonding agent would probably be water soluble.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Wow thanks for that - unfortunately we haven't got those in the UK so the shipping will cost more than the product, but they look brilliant! I'll keep looking for those closer to home - thanks so much Gotta say this website is the best thing I've found to do with my fishkeeping obsession, thanks again!
Here's a picture of the mineral blocks I've been buying for my snails - I'm not sure if they're a similar kinda thing but each block lasts between 7-10 days before it dissolves completely

Attachments

• 20210111_211808.jpg
    20210111_211808.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

BigB322

Wow thanks for that - unfortunately we haven't got those in the UK so the shipping will cost more than the product, but they look brilliant! I'll keep looking for those closer to home - thanks so much Gotta say this website is the best thing I've found to do with my fishkeeping obsession, thanks again!
Here's a picture of the mineral blocks I've been buying for my snails - I'm not sure if they're a similar kinda thing but each block lasts between 7-10 days before it dissolves completely
Cuttlebone should take care of it fine, and it won't change your water parameters as much as anything else. I would put some in the tank and put a small piece in your filter(s) to help keep calcium in the water. It will help bring out brighter colors in your fish as well.

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Cuttlebone should take care of it fine, and it won't change your water parameters as much as anything else. I would put some in the tank and put a small piece in your filter(s) to help keep calcium in the water. It will help bring out brighter colors in your fish as well.
Wow! I had no idea it helped their color! I might have to get some!

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

Yes I've had cuttlebone in my tanks for the snails for a while now, but I might try putting a bit in the filter too

Upvote 0

BigB322

Wow! I had no idea it helped their color! I might have to get some!
Yeah having certain minerals in the water helps keep not only your snails/shrimp healthy, but it helps keep your fish and plants healthy as well and helps give them brighter colors.

Upvote 0

Sweetie07

That's very interesting - I like those mineral blocks even more now! :cool:

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Sweetie07
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Sweetie07
Replies