Help Strange white fuzz

Bettaoffdead

Reaction score
4420D509-3A54-4BCE-91EE-A42F6BD78C05.jpeg

HI everyone! I'm new to this site and new to having my own fish, thanks to a random Christmas present from my mom lol. She got me a small hydroponic tank and gave me a VeilTale betta with it. Everything was going fine until I bought some Malaysian trumpet snails to help with the waste cleanup. I followed the instructions given on introducing the snails to the tank, which included a week quarantine before being added. But within a day of adding them to my betta tank, my VeilTale began acting strangely. Either floating in one corner of the tank, or laying at the bottom of the tank. I did some Google searching and after coming up with not much, I decided that perhaps I had introduced a bacteria or fungus to the tank with the snails. So I began treating the tank with Pimafix and Melafix because that's what I read was the treatment. After a few days of treatment, my VeilTale seemed to be getting more back to normal again, but then one day I found him, dead on the bottom of the tank. Thinking that perhaps the toilet of being sick for so long had just taken its toll, I went to Petco and picked up a beautiful black betta, I forget the actual type name. I added him to the tank after getting him accustomed to the water, and he swam around quite happily for a while. Later that night I noticed that he kept to the corner of the tank, near the surface, and wasn't much interested in food. I read online that this was likely just a bit of shock due to his new environment. I still would see him occasionally flit to one side or another, so I left it alone. This morning I left for work and he was doing his chilling in the corner thing and thought nothing of it. I come home from work today to see him in the corner again, but an inch or so below the surface, and positioned vertically, both which I thought were odd things. I move in for a closer look, which I have done every day since I got him. And I see he's absolutely covered in this white fuzzy film and completely lifeless! Anybody know what in the world this is? There was not even a spot of this on him this morning and he seemed fine.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the loss of your two bettas. What that white fuzz is is fungal growth. Fungus grows rather quickly on a dead fish or unfertilized eggs or anything that's dead. Tell me more about your tank set up. Size, filtration, heating, lighting, perameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) ?

OP
B

Bettaoffdead

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. That's so strange to me that it would be a fungus, since I just finished the week long antifungal and antibacterial treatment. Especially when the other betta died, there was nothing on him and he'd been dead probably all night. Anyway, you probably know more than me lol.

The tank is a 2.5 gallon tank and is filtered by the plants growing on the top in the hydroponic area. There is no lighting in the tank. I had read that bettas don't like direct light. Not sure if that's true or not. I'm not sure about the parameters you asked about. I haven't read up on how to measure that.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok there's quite a few issues with your set up. A betta really needs a 5 gallon tank minimum. It should be heated and filtered. Bettas don't mind aquarium lighting. My guess is your tank is uncycled. Which means your ammonia level is probably dangerously high. An API liquid master test kit is what most aquarium hobbyists use. It can measure ammonia nitrate and nitrite. As well as test your PH. Read up on the nitrogen cycle, so you can understand what I mean about ammonia build up.

Pimafix and melafix are more of a holistic medication. They're not antibiotics or antifungals. In my experience they don't work. Not for anything that can threaten the life of your fish anyhow.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom