Strange White Film On Molly Lip

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GlamCrab, Apr 13, 2017.

1. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

my female molly seems to have a strange whitish film on her bottom lip. It looks like skin peeling off..

It started after a very short trip to the breeding net (i thought she was giving birth) but she managed to knock some of her scales off. I released her so she wouldnt hurt herself further. Then i noticed the film on her lip..

She is fully black so maybe im overreacting? Could she have hert the slime coat near her mouth while panicking in the breeder net? Is it the start if mouth fungus?

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Can you get a picture? Could be a couple of things. When did the scales get knocked off?

3. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Her scales got knocked off inside the breeding net, she was panicking and hit the walls. Saw plack things fall off took a closer look, saw it was scales and freed her before she hurt herself more..

I'll try to get a picture.. when i get back home

Best i can get for now is this screenshot from when the male danced for her- you can see white on her bottom lip.
    image.png

(Thats from last night/when i noticed it)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  4. KimberlyG

I kinda see it. It's very faint. I wonder is its just healing. Did you put any kind of slime coat in there to help with the missing scales?

5. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

I did a water change earlier that day.. I use nutrafin aqua plus. It says it can help with fish stress and such if put in larger dose. Wich i might have since i dosed the buckets before placing the water back in.

6. KimberlyG

I guess just watch it today and see what develops.

7. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Will be doing that. for now she acts like she always has and eats fine.

I have seen that fish go through worst.. She is one of the 3 fish who survived my old cycle crashing and the ammonia spike.. I joined fishlore after that whole ordeal

8. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Im home- and took a picture.

The film over her bottom lip is slightly transparent, it doesnt look like its peeling off anymore

image.jpeg

9. KimberlyG

Is there film on the male's upper mouth or is it just the picture?The male looks worse than the female so I'm assuming it's just the picture.

10. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Thats the male's normal color, he is a dalmatian molly that turned black as he grew up. Its just one of the rare white marks he has left~
    image.jpeg
    (Thats him 4 months ago, in the middle, i was really bad at taking fish pictures lol)

11. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

So the male is completely fine

12. KimberlyG

You could do a fungus treatment like Jungle Fungus Clear (Fizz tablets at Walmart). I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I like to wait until I know what I'm treating but since you saw the injury and we basically have them swimming in bacteria bowls (Good and Bad) you might consider that before it develops further.

13. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

True. I'll be keeping an eye on her for now. maybe i'll get the meds this weekend.

14. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

i just remebered i had polyguard on me *facepalms* xD it says its good against fungus!
    atleast i havent bought the other medecine.. i can try what i have

15. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Update:
    image.jpeg
    She is pregnant. And.. Her lip is going back to normal on its own

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice