Strange White and Orange Stuff

Bettamay

Hello!

Recently I noticed strange things developing in my twenty gallon fish tank that is not present in my five gallon.
There’s white stuff on the sides of the tank, white dots all over the filter, and orange stuff on the filter cartridge. How do I get rid of this? I use spring water, and this tank is cycled. I took pictures of both tanks side to side for the white stuff on the sides of the tank, the twenty gallon one is on the right. The white dots have a black background, and the orange stuff is on the cartridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 14

StarGirl

Looks like hard water calcium stains/deposits to me. Do you have driftwood in your tank? The filter looks pretty normal from that picture.

Bettamay

I do have a piece of driftwood in my tank, would that make the water hard? I'll send another picture of the filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 11

StarGirl

No it wouldnt but it will make your filter brownish. Do you know what your pH is?

The first and last pic definitely look like hard water crust. Still looking for the spots. Im guessing some kind of biofilm?

Bettamay

I have all the testers but pH. Also, if its hard water crust, why does my five gallon tank not have it? I use bottled spring water for both.

1634491890045.png

1634491815388.png Attached a picture with the dots circled

StarGirl

It could be some kind of slime mold. Still looking... :)

Spring water is generally hard because it comes from the ground and has minerals in it. The only way to tell is to get a GH/KH testing kit to know for sure. It is strange you are not seeing it in both tanks though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
AliPbrown
Replies
Views
Fish20G
Replies
Views