Strange Web/thread Like Stuff :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ToRo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. T

ToRo Valued Member Member

I have noticed a web like substance in my tank attached to the plants and ornaments. It reminds me of what you'd see on plants (not aquarium)that would have white flies. Very fine webbing and looks like some small white specks on it. Any idea what it could be? Also, when I do a water change it looks as if there are small fibers in my water when the fresh water mixes with the water that's already in there. Tests show that water parameters are good. I have a large mystery snail in there as well, and looks like some of it on it too. Any ideas anyone?

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Could you post a picture (s)

3. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Picture would help. May be hair algae.

4. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Probably brown algae (diatoms) pictures help!

5. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

If the mystery material does NOT seem organic to you, By any chance, is your filter's fiber media breaking down?
    If you even use that stuff?
    Maybe its just had it and is breaking down?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    T

ToRo Valued Member Member

How often should I change the filter - it's a Aqueon quiet flow for a 10 gallon tank

7. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

I change my filter Pads once a month. Dont do a water change after replacing this, it can disturb your cycle. Give time for your benificial bacteria to re-colonize it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice