Strange Swimming Worms in Shrimp Tank

Sauceboat

Reaction score
Hello! So this morning I went to go watch my shrimp tank and was appalled to see a swarm of worms swimming in the tank, now I’ve had worms before but I’ve never seen anything like this. They had forked tails and a black head. My first instinct was anchor worms but I’m not sure, do they have a free swimming stage of life? Also if it is anchor worms do I have anything to wory about? I don’t have any fish in the tank just invertebrates. If it is something to worry about, what should I do?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a photo or video? Can you describe how they were moving

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
SnookusFish said:
Do you have a photo or video? Can you describe how they were moving
They are too small for my archaic camera to pick up, but they were moving in a flitting motion, sort of curling in half then extending to swim.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sauceboat do you know what young mosquito larvae look like? How they swim is as you describe they have a forked tail and big black head. With no fish to eat them it’s a possibility?

edit
Actually they swim up for air and hang head down at the surface now I think about it.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with flyfisha but without a photo they could also be dragonfly larvae which have three bits to the tail but can look like a fork
Anyway if they are what we think your whole shrimp colony is in danger we need a photo

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
THis is the best I can do, it’s impossible to make out, I’ll try to get my mother’s big camera out and see if i can get a clear shot
3D4FBA55-F0A0-4030-B9CA-2B4613DB0767.jpeg

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
Looking at pictures online I think its possible it could be mosquito larvae, how do I go about this? SHould I just cover the tank with plastic wrap so if they hatch out they cant fly away?

But then again they aren’t hanging out near the surface and don’t appear to have a segmented body.

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
richiep said:
Can you Google
Mosquito larvae
Damselfly nymph
Dragonfly larvae
And compare
Definitely not a dragonfly larvae/nymph, it could be a mosquito larvae but it lacks the brown coloring (its white) and it isn’t around the surface.

I have some mosquito fish juveniles in the back yard, should I bring a few in and see if they clean it up?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mosquito larvae spend their time at the surface and of the three will not prey on shrimp how about catching some put them on a white saucer and take a photo

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
richiep said:
Mosquito larvae spend their time at the surface and of the three will not prey on shrimp how about catching some put them on a white saucer and take a photo
Camera wouldn’t pick it up in the saucer so I microscoped it and it’s definitely mosquito larvae. Thank you so much for the help? Any thoughts on solutions?

Attachments

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A fish net. The white nets have the fine holes ? Feed them to fish if you have a fish aquarium.

For your information.
Mosquito larvae have a second stage before they hatch into a flying insect. The larvae change shape completely. The next stage of life looks nothing like that . The next stage in a larvae life looks like a grain of wheat or a seed that has germinated. A round seed with a tail curved under itself. They swim fast .

Heres one in this video. Top centre.
When you see this it’s only a few days from hatching.

New Threads