Strange Stringy Thing

1. poefox Well Known Member Member

My male platy has a strange stringy thing behind his anal fin. I don't think it is excrement, and disturbingly I noticed it has been there for about two hours. Is this a parasite of some kind? It doesn't LOOk alive...do some fish just have trouble excreting or what is this?

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

are you sure its not poop sometimes my guppy will have poop hanging around for an hour or more

3. RoboDude Member Member

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

It could be simply fish secretion. Just observe it well. If it's secretion it should be gone very soon. Does it look like a usual secretion of your fish or is there something different or unusual about it? There are actually parasites that look like worms attached to fish's skin. If the "secretion" doesn't go away, perhaps it's some worm disease?

5. poefox Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had to go out for a few hours and when I returned the fish looked normal. I think it must have just been a long poop it had. It is probably just that I hadn't really observed it over such a length of time in such a state before.

6. Michelle Initiate Member

Hi i had that same problem tonight, i actually just posted it. the long stringy thing on my guppies back end disapeared as well withing a few hours, it was long and clear. it was not poop colored what color was yours??

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

my (now dead RIP) guppies used to have those, but I'm 99% sure it was just poop.

8. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Ditto with my Platys and a few of my Guppies.