Strange Spots On New Loach

Amilia

hi,

I recently purchased 3 clown loaches all are fitting in perfectly and are very active.

My water parameters at current are all normal at 0 for ammonia , nitrates and nitrites!

I noticed that they have small fights over the food (which I know is normal) however one of the fish seem to have small dots and the spine sticking out of his cheek!

I was just wondering if anyone thinks these dots are normal from maybe scratching or it is diseased? Also has white streaks in his tail? The others seem to be fine

Attachments

• 57FB2962-0C02-4FAD-9821-E65654A59B7E.png
    57FB2962-0C02-4FAD-9821-E65654A59B7E.png
    458.2 KB · Views: 108

A201

Looks like war wounds to me. Damage to the slime coat. The dorsal fin looks banged up too. If the Clown can't retract it's eye blade, that's probably irreversible damage. Might add StressGuard to assist in healing.

Amilia

Thanks for that ill give it a try!

The holes seem to have gotten bigger and spread overnight as well :/ hoping its only damage to the slime coat

Redshark1

Amilia It is not normal for nitrates to be 0 in a healthy Clown Loach aquarium.

Mine are around 40ppm and always have been and my fish have been healthy (no diseases) for the last 25 years.

A nitrate level of 0 in a Clown Loach aquarium would be worrying as it would suggest there is no nitrogen cycle.

Hole in the head, when discussed between us on Loaches Online, has generally been linked to water quality, but also possibly vitamin deficiency (feed some live foods) or Hexamita in the gut.

Amilia

Redshark1 thank you for your reply!
I will certainly look into your suggestions. I have other fish also in the tank as well!

I have fed them some blanched zucchinI today as I read that is also good for a more nutritional diet - I will also purchase some bloodworms!
What would you suggest in terms of medication if Hexamita is present (it is to my understanding you have experience) and would appreciate your thoughts!

A201

Loaches don't normally handle medication very well. Probably best to up the water change to a 50% weekly & good nutrition. The big WC replaces needed minerals & trace elements that dissipate over time.

Redshark1

I've only medicated once and that was to cure the ich that they came with. No diseases since so you will have to research information yourself.

e.g. Post by lf11casey in Hole in the head - clown loach now with picture!!!! - Page 2 - Loaches Online Forum

I would suggest continued improvement of their water quality and other aspects of their living conditions, particularly focused on reducing stress.

e.g. I blacked out the end wall of the tank to avoid them getting a fright when I enter the room.

e.g. I removed other tank inhabitants that I felt were compromising the Clown Loaches by competing for hiding places, food etc. and adding to the bioload. I just keep dither fish Congo Tetras with them now.

e.g. I upped the aeration from my powerheads as I noticed it made a difference to their breathing rate.

e.g. I experiemented with different foods and now feed a lot of freeze dried krill after soaking in boiling water (which makes it sink) and rinsing.

e.g. I removed ornaments I felt they could possibly get trapped in.

e.g. I stopped using a canister filter after three friends had leaks from theirs and lost their fish. Now all the filtration is inside the tank so this cannot happen.

Most years I think of and implement an improvement.

This year I have been doing more water changes, 3-4 x 25% water changes weekly.

15.08.30 Chromobotia macracanthus Clown Loach 6' aquarium Steve Joul (3) - Copy.JPG

KayfromGA

Holy cow that’s a big fish .

Redshark1

KayfromGA she's close to 12" and is 25 years old.

Looks like you have a very cute little one?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Poll
Replies
Views
Poppy. Amanda
Replies
Views
Chance
Replies