Strange Spot on Angel??

annaleigh

Reaction score
backstory:

my tank has been set up around 2 weeks. my fish (2 juvI marble angels, 3 glowlight tetras and 2 albino corys) have been in there for around the same time. i'm not cycled yet, with only having one nitrite and ammomia spike (.25-.5) and no nitrates.
on saturday I had to dispose of my black molly (chainstore bought) as it had gotten very ill (grey spots, scales looked as if shedding, clamped fin, legthargy and gasping)
I did a water change the next day (40%)
the smaller of the angels, seems to have gotten a small growth on its lip and I think grey patches around its mouth (when facing straight, patches on left side and growth on right). I could be imagining, but I swear it hasnt always been there. ive noticed this for 2 days now. occasionally, the scales on their top near that long fin stick up and look like a mohawk? this smaller one is also often chased after / nipped at after meal time. I'm worried he has fallen ill due to cycling/bully stress?
my levels are usually clean and I do 25% pwc every other day. I have an aqueon 36gal with quietflow 30.

my angels came from reputable lfs, the tetras, molly and corys from petland (wasn't me!!!)

temp 76-78

heres a vid from tonight. also WHAT is that "yawn" type thing it does??? is that normal??

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay you are just starting the cycling. And yes that is normal. He was either trying to get food in or yawning. Be aware that Angels can't handle high nitrites and ammonia.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your angels may not survive the cycle process. I would never put an angel in an un-cycled tank. They can't handle that kind of experience like some other fish can....

If I were you, I would do daily water changes with Seachem Prime from now until your tank is fully cycled.....

BamBamSorg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle at all? I agree with bizaliz3 You should keep adding prime every day. Also bizaliz3 this is right right?) do weekly water changes to reduce the toxins more. Or if someone disagrees then don't do water changes

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BamBamSorg said:
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle at all? I agree with bizaliz3 You should keep adding prime every day. Also bizaliz3 this is right right?) do weekly water changes to reduce the toxins more. Or if someone disagrees then don't do water changes
With my establish cycled tanks, I do weekly water changes at the least.

If I were in the OPs situation with an uncycled tank and sensitive fish....technically I would return the fish and stick with a hardier species until it is cycled....but if I were trying to keep the current fish, I would do water changes daily with prime. I wouldn't just add prime to the water every day. I would do it with a water change.

And the benefit of prime is it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours. So if you are using it daily, the ammonia and nitrites MAY not end up hurting the fish. But I wouldn't suggest just adding prime every day hoping it will "mask" the problem. There needs to be water changes along with it!!! I personally have never added prime to a tank without doing a water change with it....

OP
A

annaleigh

Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
Your angels may not survive the cycle process. I would never put an angel in an un-cycled tank. They can't handle that kind of experience like some other fish can....

If I were you, I would do daily water changes with Seachem Prime from now until your tank is fully cycled.....
BamBamSorg said:
I am doing 25% pwc every second day or as needed dictated by my levels! I have read up on the cycle more than once and am trying to be extremely dilligent until I am cycled. I am getting frustratsd though - I only ever see 0-.5 of ammonia, only seen nitrite once and no nitrate. its been 2 weeks WITH bb added from my lfs. is this as expected?

everyone seems to be doing good today. some tears in their fins though keeping an eye on that

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bizaliz3 said:

I was stupid when I first started and the Angel died on the third day. He won't eat or anything

BamBamSorg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I started I just had a few australian rainbows and they survived the cycle but they were always nasty too each other. Super stressed out and aggressive.

New Threads