Strange Snail Death Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by WanderAtNight, Apr 11, 2019.

1. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

So I was just "gifted" (felt so bad for the poor fish that I offered to look after it) this tank as it was unwanted by my parents and I've been trying to correct several problems with it since I got it. I believe it's been running for a year but has been neglected for a few months. I have had it for a couple of days and just got rid of a bacteria bloom I'm guess was due to the long transport time. Now I'm worried about parasites.

Anyways tonight I was checking on the fish before bed and i find this snail that must have just died stuck to the glass with like, dead worms spread out around it in a halo? What is this? How do I treat it so it doesnt infect my fish, if it is capable of doing so?

The tank is infested with bladder and ramshorn snails and I'd like to save the ramshorns if I can but not at the cost of the fish.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you.
    20190412_023410.jpg

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

If the snail was dead he wouldn't be stuck to the glass, what snail is it, are those free swimming worms or looking at the white dots on the worms could they be mistaken for eggs attached to a string like membrane I'm not sure, one thing is ive never seen anything like it, what fish is in there

3. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

All the strands are stuck to the glass, nothing has move since I found it. It's a rams horn snail And the fish are a 3 lemon bristlenose, 2 common, RCS, a betta and two small lizard loaches.

4. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

another picture, im pretty sure the snail is dead, the shell looks half empty. 20190412_201105.jpg

5. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Take her out by sliding up the glass and smell by the trap door if shes dead it will hit you like a ton of bricks if you use a bit of kitchen towel folded you will those strands as well, if she is dead do a water change as soon as you can

6. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

The shell is completely busted, there isnt too much of a smell but for the snails sake I hope it's dead :( the strands are still attached and are stiff. Could it be camallanus? 20190412_204037.jpg

7. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

That is a big possibility although I've never seen it as bad as that

8. midnaWell Known MemberMember

dang... looks like maybe a fungus?? not sure though. it's definitely weird.

9. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

The shell eroding would be a calcium deficiency

10. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

Some of the others snails do have shell erosion. Perhaps it died and the worms tried to vacate?

11. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

See I thought that aswell cause of the way it was fanned out around it but what sort of fungus could grown in and or around a snail like that?

12. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

I'm going to get some levamisole today and dose my tanks, camallanus is the only think I can think of it being does any know what the dose rate/ reguime is? I think my local stock feed has kilverm.

13. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

That's so weird! I'm not sure if that is camallanus, but here is the dosing regime for levamisole:

14. WanderAtNightNew MemberMember

Thank you, I might aswell try somthing cause doing nothing is already not helping.
    If it's not camallanus then I'm stumped and will probably have to take the tank apart. hopefully its somthing treatable.

15. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I wonder if it is fungus that grew after the snail died. I often see a fuzzy white fungus or bacterial cloud growing around dead critters in the tank. Maybe thats what it looks like out of water.

16. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Had it been Camallanus worm I'd have thought they would still be active or at least alive after the snail had died but they were stiff

17. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

That is what i am thinking. I have heard horror stories of them bursting out of fish, alive. I don't think they would be dead/paralyzed unless there was some medication that had done so.