Strange Residue On Aquarium Glass? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Lauren_, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Lauren_

Lauren_Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered some plants and was setting up a 10g quarantine tank to keep them in after sterilizing them. I kind of jumped the gun and set up the tank a little on the early side, so I figured I wouldn't bother dechlorinating the water just yet and would just change the water out closer to their arrival. Well, my plants are now on their way and I drained the water out of the tank.

Everything was so ominously foggy. I wiped the aquarium glass and got this strange residue. It can't be diatom algae since the water was still chlorinated, right? Or can this algae somehow survive that? Admittedly, the tank is next to a window, but I'm a cave dweller and don't open the blinds.

Is it algae? Could my new heater be leaking something? It's just a little freaky to me. :(

Attached Files:

2. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Looks like diatoms, however, it's hard to say without a look at it on the glass.

They're harmless.

3. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Lauren_Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much for the quick response! I'd show a picture of the glass, but on the glass it's foggy, but clear. There's no sign of this strange brown color on the glass until I wipe it with a paper towel. Can diatoms live in tap water like that? If so, I don't think I'm ever drinking it again .. :yuck:

4. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

Why not? Some people mix diatoms with water as a health supplement!

Not me ... but ... ijs! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice