Strange Red Bump Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Gracesea, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Gracesea

Gracesea New Member Member

My green sword tail has developed this strange bump and I have no idea what it is, I asked a couple people more experienced in the fish hobby if they knew what was wrong and they were clueless. She is swimming fine and shes eating, I don't remember seeing anything wrong with her until today. Any idea whats wrong? the water parameters are Amm: .25 almost 0 (im about to do a water change today) ph: 7

dLrCHPiwQp_m570OBeDgIf9Xr8H2UEl_my0zqbI4sBKid5gPXxeWWOYesa75F5S1uQYEAeE6D5QyI_8CgU0=w749-h998-no.jpg ucYmgu4Mq0iqHlhn7yxUlDGjdnixhU_JE0j1hNJSkFKleU6nADYtcl9yhGVfKVDb-B2mRYyDDHi_WTiFVlQ=w749-h998-no.jpg t7SF9F8gX7zVBMZHqXj8Jaof1bey6t_GE7KZlJLXtorSaVTjQBs7gBHyMoVrilC6fBc0AvO8alG2ETMlcnE=w749-h998-no.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Firstly, that is not a swordtail, it's a platy.
    In the first picture, that red blotch, is that the bump you are referring to?

I would assume that since it's protruding outward, it might be a cyst or internal tumor.
    For tumors, there is nothing you can do but just monitor its behavior.

3. OP
    OP
    Gracesea

well its actually not a platy, its a female green swordtail but nvm that. I assumed it was a tumor but they don't normally appear like that on fish it looks more like blood trapped under the skin. I asked my local pet store where I bought her from and they said they have never seen anything like it before.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry, I believe that it is a female swordtail.
    You've never seen that red area until now? If so, I would assume it's blood.

5. OP
    OP
    Gracesea

yeah thats what im assuming i was just wondering why this happened like what could have caused it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice