strange question

1. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

I want to start by saying that I don't have a test kit.... I ordered it and it is on the way. However.... I bought a used tank from craigslist....

It hadn't been torn down (>week) for long and the gravel was kept wet. I was using red eye tetras to cycle (don't judge). Its been up and running for about 2 weeks. I have major algae. I didn't think you could have algae in an uncycled tank??? Is that true? I was thinking that maybe the tank cycled fast because the gravel and filter were still wet when I got them???

PS... been in this for around 10 years off and on.... I know I need the test kit to be sure. Just wanted thoughts.

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, algae is worse in an uncycled tank (I know...I had my 46gal bowfront up and didn't know anything about cycling and had horrific algae, even though I didn't have the lights on for very long during the day...I also wasn't doing very regular water changes, maybe one every two weeks). How long are you leaving the lights on for and what does the algae look like? If you really want to know how your cycle is going, take a sample of water to Petsmart/Petco or your LFS and they'll usually test it for you for free. Just ask them for the numbers, NOT any suggestions. :p

3. OP
    OP
    genie

genie Well Known Member Member

its green and kinda fuzzy.

4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like the algae I had in my 46gal. I would suggest taking a water sample to the LFS and seeing what your readings are, so you can get a better idea of where you're at in your cycle.

5. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Even though the gravel was kept wet, it is my understanding (but someone should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that in order for the gravel to be of any benefit to the tank, as far as the cycling process goes, it would have had to have a consistent source of ammonia. If it was just kept wet with no fish for about a week, I don't think it did you much good, from a cycling point of view.

And besides, we're not here to judge, we're here to help. :party0049:

Have you done any water changes in that two week period? And without a test kit, how are you ensuring the safety of your tetras? (I love red eyes, they were one of my very first fish when I started in the hobby). :;toast