Strange Protrusion On Striped Raphael

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Last weekend I treated all my tanks with levamisole after observing Callamanus worms in one of my tanks. I broke down all my tanks for treatment and got a good look at my Striped Raphael when I removed his favorite decor.

I observed a white discoloration on his back above his dorsal fin that looked to me like it could be a bacterial infection and set him up in a 5 gal quarintine and began treatment with Furan-2 by API.

Two days after starting treatment I observed an unusual bump on his lower left side, seen in the first 4 pictures. Today, (two days after that), the bump has developed a pointed protrusion, seen in the following 4 pictures.

My picture quality is terrible but it looks almost exactly like a Malaysian Trumpet Snail shell, which I do keep in the tank. Is this some type of prolapse, a growth, or possibly a swollowed snail passing naturally? I can't tell if the swollen area is the fishes vent or not and the fact it's on his left and not centered where a fishes vent usually is seems strange.

Anybody have any ideas?
Edit- Pictures are out of order. The first picture is the bump when I first noticed it. The second pic is today.

Attachments

Livebearer08

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
About the Callamanus worms, sorry, I have battled with them multiple times and only prevailed once. The bump is weird. I have no idea what it is. Maybe treat it with general cure?

OP
E

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Turns out it was a MTS. After two days of waiting for the fish to pass what I was pretty sure was a snail shell, I decided to try and gently pull the shell out of the fish with tweezers. I stopped when the fish showed signs of stress and was unable to completely dislodge the object. However, I was able to loosen it quite a bit and when I checked on him this morning he had finished passing the snail shell on his own.

I found two additional MTS shells in the quarintine bucket while doing a water change. Everything in the bucket had been thoroughly cleaned, and I'm sure there is no possible way they could have gotten there, except if they came out of the fish. This makes a total of 3 snails the fish ate and passed naturally. The largest shell is almost half the length of the fish.

The fishes vent is swollen, but not as bad as it was. There is a lot of red and white tissue around the edges. I am unsure if the fish has internal damage, but so far he seems to be a surviver. The bacterial infection I originally quarintined him for seems to be healing and he continues to behave normally, as he has the intire time.

New Threads