Strange Problem With 10g Tank Cycle

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by InsanityShard, May 11, 2019.

1. InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

I think I somehow lost the cycle on my 10g tank, but I'm not sure. All that's in there are some plants, a female betta,a few miniature ramshorns and a mystery snail. The filter turns over 200 liters per hour, and the tank is 40 liters, gets cleaned about once a month in tank water. Water changes are done using pre treated water, once every 2 weeks, 2 gallons each time.
    It's been a bit cold and today I looked over and saw a couple of lighter stripes on my betta, possibly stress stripes, running vertically down her sides. She's not sick but I forgot to put her heater on last night. I checked my parameters and the Ammonia is a bit under 0.25ppm, the Nitrates are so low I can barely see the change in colour, and there's 0 nitrites. It's due for a water change. Is this just the plants? It gets a gravel vac every 2 months, and my betta gets 2 pellets a day (except on Sundays) while my Mystery Snail gets either an algae wafer, some protien pellets, or some turtle sticks every 2nd or 3rd day.

2. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

Vertical stripes going down their bpdies are not stress stripes.
    Stress stripes look like juvenile stripes and are very dark and horizontal, and they come around when the rest of the fishes body color washes out.

Is your ammonia always reading that way? Unless your ammonia or nitrite is actually spiking, you likely didn't lose your cycle and she's just showing her breeding stripes.

3. InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

I didn't know they had breeding stripes. I looked it up and that's exactly what they were. Thank you. My ammonia isn't spiking but I thought it was always supposed to have some ammonia and nitrates if cycled.

4. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

Some tanks and test kits always show ammonia even when cycled. So that's not a problem.
    Glad your girl is okay!