Strange Pleco

Alisa12345

Hello! I have a 75 gallon aquarium split up into two parts. One part is a third of the tank (25 ish gallons) and the ither part is the other two thirds. On the smaller side I have a 2.5in pink kissing gourami, a male golden wonder killifish and a 1in striped raphael catfish. On the larger side there is a 4in pink kissing gourami, a small marble angelfish, a female golden wonder killifish, a female betta, and a 7in common pleco. I've recently noticed my common pleco has been turning lightly coloured as if he was really stressed about something. He was also rubbing his face on the plexiglass divider and swimming up and down on it. Out of curiosity I mived him to the smaller side to see if there was somwthing over there he wanted. To my surprise he stopped his strange behaviour and turned almost pure black. I've never seen him this dark in colour and assuming its a good thing I kept him over there for the rest of the night. Next morning I move him back over to his intended side and he starts acting up again. Does anyone know why he would prefer the smaller side instead of the larger side? I'll provide a picture of my tank
You must be registered to see images

JtheFishMan

From my experience from cherry and blue velvet shrimp, they can change shades of color due to the color of the substrate. For example, I had black substrate at first, so they were very vibrant in their color, but after I put the sandy colored substrate in, they turned lighter, trying to blend in the substrate being a natural adaptation.

I do not know specifically about plecos, but that would be my answer. He is just trying to blend in with his surroundings. Being on the dark side makes him turn jet black, and being on the sandy side makes his color to lighten up.

mattgirl

Plecos like hiding places. I don't see any place yours can go to just chill. It is possible he/she feels like it is hiding with the darker substrate so is more comfortable over there

Alisa12345

Plecos like hiding places. I don't see any place yours can go to just chill. It is possible he/she feels like it is hiding with the darker substrate so is more comfortable over there

So would it be a good idea to change the gravel colour and add a few hiding places?

mattgirl

So would it be a good idea to change the gravel colour and add a few hiding places?
The color of the gravel might be alright but I am sure hiding places would make the little guy more comfortable.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Betrayer
Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views
Celeste
Replies