55 Gallon Tank Strange Peacock Gudgeon Head - Disease or no disease?

Madchild57

So I have a 55 gallon with 4 female peacock gudgeons. I recently added 3 or these 4 a few days ago because they passed their 3.5 week quarantine period. They were all pretty timid and didn't each much around me when they were by themselves in quarantine. Since I added them to my main tank, 2 of these 3 perked up a lot and are acting mostly normal. They just don't understand the feeding schedule yet like my other fish so they're getting outcompeted for the time being.
Anyway, this last peacock gudgeon always hung out in a cave when it was in quarantine. It would come out every so often but it usually was in the cave. It still hasn't perked up much since adding it and it really freaks out when I come close. I noticed it has a strange pattern on its head, unlike my other gudgeons. I figured that it was no big deal because my other 2 gudgeons never caught any disease in the 3.5 weeks I had them together alone. Also I'm pretty sure it looked like this from the beginning. However, I am wondering if this gudgeon has something wrong that is connected to this pattern on the head or if it's just pigmentation and this gudgeon is just really skittish.
I'll attach some pictures of the head. It's symmetric too which is strange.

1614837331975.png

1614837357826.png

1614837402228.png

1614837546047.png
Here's a normal gudgeon to compare, this is one of them that perked up since adding it.

1614837483697.png
jkkgron2 any ideas?

BigManAquatics

Hard to tell if its sick from behavior, as they do tend to be naturally shy fish anyway.

Upvote 0

Gudgie

From the photos, I didn’t see any obvious illness. A bit dark right now, but will likely lighten a bit once she settles in. So could just be pigmentation combined with a skittish personality?

I’ve had my male for 1.5 years, and he still freaks out/startles when we walk by the tank. That’s how I had him jump out of the tank once early on. Thankfully he’s calmed a bit. I wouldn’t say he’s afraid of me (and happily comes to eat), just seemed startled by movement in the distance outside the tank.

Upvote 0

Madchild57

From the photos, I didn’t see any obvious illness. A bit dark right now, but will likely lighten a bit once she settles in. So could just be pigmentation combined with a skittish personality?

I’ve had my male for 1.5 years, and he still freaks out/startles when we walk by the tank. That’s how I had him jump out of the tank once early on. Thankfully he’s calmed a bit. I wouldn’t say he’s afraid of me (and happily comes to eat), just seemed startled by movement in the distance outside the tank.
I just thought it was strange because my original gudgeon is very outgoing, comes up to the surface etc. I also got it when it was like 0.5 inch so maybe that was why.
I don't think this particular gudgeon is sick either but I figured I might as well ask, hopefully it settles in more.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
Slushlily
Replies
Views
Nianichole
Replies